Dash lights

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
margledev

Dash lights

Post by margledev » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:17 pm

Ford Probe
2.5 24v
Alpine Green
Leather

Hello. I bought the above a month ago and it ran perfectly every day (did 250 miles). It started instantly with no need to rev. However, this week it didn't start, rev or not, and has not started since. I have read advice on here and checked the CPS connections, fuses and fuel cut-off switch etc, but still no joy. From an old Ford I had years ago my instinct was/is the immobiliser. I have read the manual in respect of the immobiliser and read how a yellow light should come on in the dash when the key is inserted and turned to on, then go off when the car starts. I do not get the yellow light at all now, but do not recall if I ever did (not noticing the dash lights until I need to). From your cars/experience, does the yellow light come on, then go off when it starts? If there is an immobiliser issue, should the light stay on, and if I don't get the immobiliser light at all, does this sound like the immobiliser has faulted? I called out the AA on the morning and he thinks it is the immobiliser because of no light coming on at all, but he could not be sure. He is a long term AA mechanic and used to work on Probes years ago and said he would have thought it is the distributer if it wasn't for the no-show of any lights in respect of the immobiliser. Thanks.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Dash lights

Post by Micron » Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:37 pm

It is almost as rare as rocking horse pop that a immobiliser of the TEMIC variety assuming that you do have a later car with no fob to go faulty. On the other hand your dizzy is more likely to be the issue of you are getting nothing.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Check for a spark at a plug but NEVER EVER leave a plug lead unconnected when trying to start/run the engine..

margledev

Post by margledev » Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Hi, I have changed the dizzy cap and rotar arm, but still nothing. Turns over strongly, but not a hint of firing. Any other suggestions before I bite-the-bullet and get the car towed to a garage? Thanks.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:26 pm

Have you tried another key if you have a Temic key the transponder may be FUBA

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:53 pm

margledev wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:08 pm
Hi, I have changed the dizzy cap and rotar arm, but still nothing. Turns over strongly, but not a hint of firing. Any other suggestions before I bite-the-bullet and get the car towed to a garage? Thanks.
You need to change the dizzy, not just the cap and rotor, if it is faulty then it will be the ignition coil inside it.
You have to make sure you get the right one for your car.
It is worth trying what Kev aka CPT Black has suggested about trying a different key.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎