Air Bag Blue Box :- Thermal Fuse

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
simps

Re: Air Bag Blue Box :- Thermal Fuse

Post by simps » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:59 pm

They seem to work, just a bit bigger than the standard so the plastic cover doesn’t close. I have it fitted and all seems well so far

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:21 pm

david_toft wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:41 pm
What happens if I don't plug the connections into the blue box?
I would say that your air bag light would never come on and any “savey” MOT tester will realise that the light never came on in the first place, so should facile the car.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

EmulateDJ

Post by EmulateDJ » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Ordered the fuses from ebay (luckily got some spares), they came yesterday so swapped out the dead fuse and soldered in a new one. Car was fine for a few hours then after turning off and back on the light started flashing again :?

I assume i have a fault somewhere else that is causing the fuse to blow, any ideas where to look?

Ta

simps

Post by simps » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:42 pm

What’s the new code?

Upon replacing mine I got a 52 (I think) until the capacitors recharged fully.

It’s probably worth clearing the codes as well just to be sure, can’t remember if I had to or not

EmulateDJ

Post by EmulateDJ » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:47 pm

simps wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:42 pm
What’s the new code?

Upon replacing mine I got a 52 (I think) until the capacitors recharged fully.

It’s probably worth clearing the codes as well just to be sure, can’t remember if I had to or not
51 again - i never thought i would have to clear the codes, i assume theres a write up on clearing codes on the oracle?

simps

Post by simps » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:50 pm

Disconnect the negative side of the battery and press the brake pedal for a few seconds, I’ve seen up to 30 mentioned, but that sounds excessive

Reconnect and try again

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:42 pm

The air bag module doesn't store codes, so it will reset each time the ignition is turned off. That said, the module only shows one fault at a time.

If you have code 51 again, look in the Oracle for other possible options to look at.

EmulateDJ

Post by EmulateDJ » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am

Yes it's code 51 again :x

will try re-soldering another fuse in later this week. if that blows then time to investigate further i guess. Any ideas what the "intermittent short to earth" could be caused by? any specific areas to check first ?

I know the previous owner(s) did an absolute shocker with some of the wiring behind the dash etc so god knows what else they have played with :roll:

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:02 am

EmulateDJ wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am
Yes it's code 51 again :x

will try re-soldering another fuse in later this week. if that blows then time to investigate further i guess. Any ideas what the "intermittent short to earth" could be caused by? any specific areas to check first ?

I know the previous owner(s) did an absolute shocker with some of the wiring behind the dash etc so god knows what else they have played with :roll:
I would say that you have answered your own question, with your comment about what the previous owner did. Did it happen straight away, or after you did something, like turn the steering wheel?

EmulateDJ

Post by EmulateDJ » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:32 am

Micron wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:02 am
I would say that you have answered your own question, with your comment about what the previous owner did. Did it happen straight away, or after you did something, like turn the steering wheel?
I'm not sure what was the cause. I parked up at a service station after a short drive with no warning light, then turned car back on and there it was !

The wiring disaster seemed mostly to be to do with the stereo / head unit, not sure if any airbag wires run through behind there ?