Clutch and flywheel problem.

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: 24V Probe 1997 GTS

Clutch and flywheel problem.

Post by Sunfly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:09 am

Ever since I've had the car the clutch has not been right. The original was a foot to the floor job to disengage and terrible judder, I changed the clutch for a Probestore aftermarket clutch and it was smooth enough engaging but lurched a bit through gear changes.

So... I fitted an OEM clutch kindly donated by Malcolm. The lurching went, but it had a terrible judder on engaging whilst in 1st or 2nd.

So... I replaced Malcolm's with another OEM clutch (today) and the shudder is still there... albeit not so bad!!!

When Malcolms clutch was out we had a look at the flywheel. Lots of tiny surface cracks and clearly overheated at some time. Paul who did the work said that this is not new, as he spotted it during previous changes. On the other hand hes seen the effect on other flywheels without a problem. He clocked the face and it showed 7 thou runout - not good if the reading was accurate.

It now looks as though I wont cure this problem without sorting the flywheel, so your advice please.

Can you get a new flywheel? Paul says no from Ford
Is it available as a Mazda part and if so can anyone give me the Mazda number?
Paul has suggested resurfacing, by which I imagine he means grinding back true and concentric to shaft landing faces. Does anyone know where this can be done and more importantly - balanced after retruing?
Does anyone have a new, or used but good spare I could buy?

Got to get this sorted so your help will be much appreciated as always.

Bob.

jrh
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: 94probe

Re: Clutch and flywheel problem.

Post by jrh » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Sorry to read about your clutch/flywheel problem.
You know enough about engineering so I don't think I will be telling you anything new.
It does read as though at some time the flywheel has got hot and warped. About the hardest thing to put right in-situ you could wish for !
Just about impossible.
So you take it off and either fit a 'good' one ( but how can you know it is balanced for your engine ) or get your original 'machined' on a
mandrel exactly like it is on the crankshaft ( expensive ?).
The only consolation, it really is the source of all the previous problems.

Sunfly
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: 24V Probe 1997 GTS

Re: Clutch and flywheel problem.

Post by Sunfly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:16 am

Quit so John.
I could turn a dummy crank spigot on the lathe, skim the clutch face and backplate mount all in one, but I cant sort the balance so that's a non starter.

It looks as though I will be able to get a Mazda 626 or MX6 as there are lots on the web for the Mazda, but I'd be grateful of the part No if anyone has that info - just to be sure!!! I don't want another wasted attempt.

Failing that, there seems to be a lot of engine re conditioners who might sort it, but I didn't like the hairline cracks - not even surface ones. best to change it if possible.

Bob