Anyone know what these are

For all members to chat about anything, no swearing.
fuerte
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: probe24v1996

Anyone know what these are

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Just gone into hall to find dog been nibbling wires.obviously these not live as dosey me touched them and she ok but what are the rest.the ones she chewed on floor and loose in air.there is a gas meter.she never chews in the house???
Last edited by fuerte on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrh
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: 94probe

Re: Anyone know what these are

Post by jrh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm

The green and yellow striped cables are the new 'earth' standard colours.
Guessing here but the plain green ones ( paint spattered white) will be the old standard for 'earth' cables.
The plastic covering will be 'chewey', I doubt the copper wire underneath will come to much harm.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:38 pm

jrh wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm
The green and yellow striped cables are the new 'earth' standard colours.
Guessing here but the plain green ones ( paint spattered white) will be the old standard for 'earth' cables.
The plastic covering will be 'chewey', I doubt the copper wire underneath will come to much harm.
Great.Good eyes to spot green spattered paint.Had visions of having to find someone to box it in.
Irony she was sat there happy with those 2 wires yet either side of her were 2 toys.She does like a plastic bag or empty water bottle but I try to keep them hidden.Though she has unzipped my bag to get a plastic bag out.
Thanks for reassurance.
Lol.I sprayed it with fly spray.Like thats going to do any good.I hnave tucked the loose ones away.

gav0067
UKPOC Full Member
Drives: Probe 24v

Post by gav0067 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:09 pm

They’ll just be earth, as stated. Gas won’t have a live current going near it. You just need to make sure there’s a connection to earth still ie the strap is still intact and not two pieces
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people......
I'm just saying let's remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out!

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 pm

gav0067 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:09 pm
They’ll just be earth, as stated. Gas won’t have a live current going near it. You just need to make sure there’s a connection to earth still ie the strap is still intact and not two pieces
Thanks I think she chewed old loose ones which were not connected.The new one looks intact.

jrh
UKPOC Full Member

Post by jrh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Just had an even closer look at the pipe those cables are attached to.
It is a LEAD water pipe , don't know how long you will be there but Google ' Lead water pipes' and make an informed choice.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 pm

jrh wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:30 pm
It is a LEAD water pipe , don't know how long you will be there but Google ' Lead water pipes' and make an informed choice.
Thanks for that.I only found out a month ago that I believe that is where my stop tap is.
I know the effects of lead poisoning as my moms mom was previously married to a painter who died of it in the days it was in paint.
To be honest I have had a lot more exposure to asbestos.The house is cheap and I dont think I could move again.
Also I drank water from an artesian well for years that was so cloudy sometimes no one would drink it.Swear in the old days insecticides etc from farm got in it.
I appreciate your concern.I drink a lot of bottled water.
I can look at buying water for kettle and maybe if face homelessness would be good argument.
For now dont want to rock the boat as want to stay here as long as possible.
I dont have kids but just thought will definitely get bottled water for my dog.Bit of a fatalist so believe my fate is already decided.If that sounds depressing its not I am very positive.
Really appreciate your concern.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:10 pm

jrh wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Sorry to bother you again but will all water to house come in through that pipe only no way is my dog drinking from that.I have sink in garage and also tap in garage that you usually have outside.if they may be on a different system I can get her water from there until I can get a delivery as she drinks shed loads of water.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 pm

I have got the giggles again.generally my gsd only chews stuff that is so old it needs replacing as I am old school.now call me mad but maybe that is why she chewed the wire to point out lead pipe.
Knowing her she doesnt like taste of her water and sussed pipe smelt the same.
I am more than happy to be called mad ,eccentric but she is phenomenally clever.
She has trained herself to be an assistance d9g for me as didcky last gsd who trained herself to help my mom with deafness and visual impaorment.
I so lucky to have had all my 3 dogs.

jrh
UKPOC Full Member

Post by jrh » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Research all the filter people and of course they want you to fit a filter but Mumsnet have no axe to grind so they recommend contacting the water company and asking them to take a sample from the taps you are using. Generally, this is a free service.
Say you want to see the results, not just have a voice over the telephone tell you " it's ok".
Then make a decision.
There is no immediate danger but long term(years), best to avoid if you can.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:25 pm

jrh wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 pm
Research all the filter people and of course they want you to fit a filter but Mumsnet have no axe to grind so they recommend contacting the water company and asking them to take a sample from the taps you are using. Generally, this is a free service.
Say you want to see the results, not just have a voice over the telephone tell you " it's ok".
Then make a decision.
There is no immediate danger but long term(years), best to avoid if you can.
I wasnt going to google but did as my concern is for my dog.I did find something about grants and filters like you suggest.But also looking at where I have lived I have probably been exposed to lead piping water supply most of my life.
So great advice for now my priority is my dog and will look at me later.
Just chuffed you spotted it for my dog.if you at the fest no doubt she will thank you for your concern.
Thanks again for pointing it out.chilled even ifvI dont sound it and admire you for having guts to point it out as many would not.good karma to you too.

fuerte
UKPOC Full Member

Post by fuerte » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Will get on to my lettings agent etc but this maybe a filter