Re: front down pipe removal-thanks everyone

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
fuerte

Re: front down pipe removal-thanks everyone

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Question 1
My car is in the garage for advisories one including flexipipe on front down pipe.
I like to get them done as I am a worrier.
He has rang me to say he is having a job getting the front down pipe off as all the bolts are rusted in...an ongoing problem with this car.One has sheared one off already.He has tried heating another and though he cannot be sure he is pretty confident they may all shear off and it will turn into a massive job.The manifold or manifolds may have to come off and be sent away to be sorted out by an engineer.
It could also lead to all sorts of other problems.
He suggests leaving until the MOT.I agree.But if you have any tips or advice for when I look at it again I would appreciate it.
He is also going to take it to a less anal MOT tester next time.
Question 2
I just need to confirm I have the correct exhaust as I am not 100 per cent I have.So if it needs doing I have got it.
I was told on here that if I had an exhaust with or without a precat the ones on ebay would fit.I cannot remember which way round it was but they should have fitted.But when I contacted them they said it didnt.So I took a gamble and got one that had product code MAZ8016.
I have just looked at ebay listing 25303210862 carparts northampton.One of their product numbers is Maz8016 and she says it doesnt fit.They are the same company as online automotive and mechanics choice and she says none will fit.
RSJ on ebay said theirs wouldnt fit.

Can anyone confirm if I have the right one.I will get parts number off it and confirm precat with mechanic hopefully when I pick it up tommorrow.He just has to put it back together and check my brakes.

Good news is he says not worried about rust for its age and anything can be fixed its just parts availability.

I have been dreading tackling this and still in the same boat really.

My car !996 late 24v.Will pm Reg no if anyone can help.
Cheers
Last edited by fuerte on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuerte

Re: front down pipe removal

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Just checked I dont have pre cat

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:58 pm

I Did give you the part(ebay) number Elaine ages ago for the
Front Manifold Wot did you buy :?:
Kev

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes I checked you message today and there was just the company and price which I couldnt find.
Mine was from online automotive not on ebay.Part no MAZ 8039.No other part numbers on listing.
But that number is same as item number 25303210862 car parts northampton who say it wont fit.
Bought in a rush as my dog was ill at the time and either you or someone else posted a diagram that looked the same.
I trust you more than them.edited meant ebay sellers not person who posted picture
Last edited by fuerte on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Every single bleeding seller on ebay now and in april says theirs wont fit my car.
But I have a late no precat so if am I understanding you all correctly that they will fit mine.
In which case I must have the right one.

Top tip dont buy a low mileage always garaged probe thinking you got lucky as it may cause you more trouble than a high mileage always kept outside well maintained probe.

Live and learn.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Simple way to tell the two types of front pipes to KL 24v engine is

Early - with ‘pre-CAT’. There is no holes for the O2 sensor, the down pipe is shorter

Late type NO ‘pre-CAT’, there will be a treaded hole below the flange on each of the down pipe.
Plus the down pipe is longer.

Kit

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Kit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm
Simple way to tell the two types of front pipes to KL 24v engine is

Early - with ‘pre-CAT’. There is no holes for the O2 sensor, the down pipe is shorter

Late type NO ‘pre-CAT’, there will be a treaded hole below the flange on each of the down pipe.
Plus the down pipe is longer.

Kit
Great thanks.Mechanic is adamant mine is late no pre cat.it will be off the ramp so I cannot check my exhaust tommorow.
But I can check if the exhaust I have is early or late when I get it back.EDIT AGAIN meant downpipe not exhaust

Then take a break and when I feel better again look at how or who and when to best get the rusted bolts out.

Cheers
Last edited by fuerte on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm

There is NO difference in the CAT back exhaust System on the 24v between early & last :!:

The CAT is 440mm long

Kit
Last edited by Kit on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Kit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:09 pm
There is NO difference in the exhaust System on the 24v between early & last :!:

The CAT is 440mm long

Kit
I am sorry I dont understand.Maybe my reply is misworded.
I dont mean to frustrate you.
I understood your first reply then your second confused me.
I am no good at explaining stuff in writing.Sorry.

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

You have the right manifold.
Problem is getting the nuts off the existing studs without shearing the studs, not easy.
The shame of it is, it used to be the kind of job I did for pleasure. If I only could do that again !