Mot advisories updated

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
fuerte

Mot advisories updated

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:35 am

Car passed mot but has advisories.I dont pick it up until monday so not sure what he means.
He says rear brake pipes.My question is how many brake pipes are on the rear each side.I thought there was a hose and a copper pipe which I have had done?He said he can clean the rust off the end and grease itbif that helps?
And he did say the tester was overzeolous.
Secondly he said a flexy hose or something is going on the front exhaust.What is that?Is it a big job?Does anyone have a good one for sale?
I know they are only advisories so I have a year to get them done.He said they werent urgent and may not need doing.
I will know Monday.
I know its not the end of the world but with everything else going on it just seems worse than it is.
Headlight aswell but he is doing that.
Last edited by fuerte on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrh

Re: Mot advisorirs

Post by jrh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 pm

By themselves what you have described as advisories are not difficult to do , problem is , they have to be done before next MoT .
The 'puffing' noise coming from the front will be the crack in the front flexible exhaust pipe. As long as you don't have the pre-cat exhaust
manifold , new front exhaust is easy to acquire. Pray you don't have pre-cats.
Rear brake pipes, depends where the corrosion is.
Usually up round the petrol tank, which makes it a 'big' job , though easy to do.
Been there, done that , but feel for you because know you could do without these problems.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 pm

jrh wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 pm
By themselves what you have described as advisories are not difficult to do , problem is , they have to be done before next MoT .
The 'puffing' noise coming from the front will be the crack in the front flexible exhaust pipe. As long as you don't have the pre-cat exhaust
Usually up round the petrol tank, which makes it a 'big' job , though easy to do.
Been there, done that , but feel for you because know you could do without these problems.
I have just rang the mechanic and he says I dont have a pre-cat.He cannot get the part from his suppliers but I rang the exhaust place and they are confident they can get one but need to see the car to quote.fingers crossed.
Re brake pipes he said stainless steel enclosed in plastic rusty at ends where there is no plastic.I am still confused as to which he means?I know the ones that are covered in plastic about a foot and a half long but I think he said they are hoses and it is the pipes.He said you have to get them made?Does he mean the ones you buy a length of it in copper that goes over the petrol tank cos I think I had that done on my last probe not this one?
Anyway I will know more Monday so I need to try and put it aside unless anyone has more to add to lessen my worries.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.It is living alone without family or friends.Its driving me mad.I can hear the sound of multiple mini violins playing.lol

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Just found a positive.At least it wasnt the sills.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:56 pm

fuerte wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 pm
jrh wrote:
I have just rang the mechanic and he says I dont have a pre-cat.He cannot get the part from his suppliers but I rang the exhaust place and they are confident they can get one but need to see the car to quote.fingers crossed.
Re brake pipes he said stainless steel enclosed in plastic rusty at ends where there is no plastic.I am still confused as to which he means?I know the ones that are covered in plastic about a foot and a half long but I think he said they are hoses and it is the pipes.He said you have to get them made?Does he mean the ones you buy a length of it in copper that goes over the petrol tank cos I think I had that done on my last probe not this one?
Anyway I will know more Monday so I need to try and put it aside unless anyone has more to add to lessen my worries.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.It is living alone without family or friends.Its driving me mad.I can hear the sound of multiple mini violins playing.lol
With the front pipe at worst you could get one made in stainless steel by a local powerflow centre. I did with the rio when the front pipes were only available from Ford and stupid money.

Yes he's talking about the brake pipes not the flexihoses. Yes they need to be made up from copper pipe.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Andy W wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:56 pm
fuerte wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 pm
jrh wrote:
With the front pipe at worst you could get one made in stainless steel by a local powerflow centre. I did with the rio when the front pipes were only available from Ford and stupid money.

Yes he's talking about the brake pipes not the flexihoses. Yes they need to be made up from copper pipe.
I dont think I explained properly.The flexi hose is on the front exhaust.It so far seems hard to find unless I get a mazda one.I dont know where it is on the exhaust until the mechanic shows me monday
Its a good idea to get a stainless steel exhaust made up if the worst comes to the worst.
Re the brake pipes.I suspected what you said about it being the ones you make from copper pipe so I have had that done before so that can be sorted.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm

fuerte wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm
I dont think I explained properly.The flexi hose is on the front exhaust.It so far seems hard to find unless I get a mazda one.I dont know where it is on the exhaust until the mechanic shows me monday
Its a good idea to get a stainless steel exhaust made up if the worst comes to the worst.
Re the brake pipes.I suspected what you said about it being the ones you make from copper pipe so I have had that done before so that can be sorted.
The flexi section IS part of the front pipe. I comes as part of the front pipe - see the piece almost at the end of the pipe before the hanger in the picture.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm

As Andy said its the Flexi Part it,s not a failure unless its actullay blowing ;)
You will find its only the Guaze that covers it thats deteriated and nothing more
I cut mine off 8 years ago as 1 off the rings attached was clanking around and still
good this day ;) Elaine
Few puns in there Elaine but all true
Enjoy all the best
Kev

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Andy W wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm
fuerte wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm
The flexi section IS part of the front pipe. I comes as part of the front pipe - see the piece almost at the end of the pipe before the hanger in the picture.
Great I found that picture but didnt know where the flexi pipe was.I found a mazda 626 flexipipe but wasnt sure if its the same.cpt black has replied since so I will reply to him next.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:38 pm

cpt black wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm
As Andy said its the Flexi Part it,s not a failure unless its actullay blowing ;)
You will find its only the Guaze that covers it thats deteriated and nothing more
I cut mine off 8 years ago as 1 off the rings attached was clanking around and still
good this day ;) Elaine
Few puns in there Elaine but all true
Enjoy all the best
Kev
Great.I will put that to my mechanic monday.As I said before he said the tester was overzeolous.And he wasnt worried either but I like to get advisories done.
The exhaust place also said not to worry as so expensive to sort so they were probably saying the same thing.
Thanks to all who have replied.I now have a massive weight off my shoulders and a plan and a year to sort it.
One other question if you dont mind the mechanic and exhaust place both said something about it flexes as the engine does something.So are you saying if I take gauze off will it still flex?
And this is why the club is worth far more than 10 quid a year.