Body repair rear wheel arch sections?

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Canesplitter

Body repair rear wheel arch sections?

Post by Canesplitter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:38 am

Hi again all...I’ve taken the plunge and agreed to purchase JRH’s mega mileage Probe 2.5...I spent a good few hours with John and Andree and was impressed with his record keeping and history of the car ... it needs rescuing as I’m sure it must have one of the highest mileages of Probes out there and deserves to be saved...It’s just passed its MOT again and I have promised to bring back its sparkle!

To that end it has corrosion on the rear wheel arches which I suspect will need cutting out and replacing with new steel...does anyone know if it’s possible to buy steel repair sections for the rear outer wheel arch please?

I’m handy with metalwork but a close to original repair section would make things easier than making it from scratch...

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Mike

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Body repair rear wheel arch sections?

Post by mojo98 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 am

I`ve had my daily runner arches done, I was unable to buy new arches, so my local body shop cut out and made them and did a fantastic job, I will try and put some picture up
JRH car is a well looked after car and glad its been saved :D :D

Canesplitter

Post by Canesplitter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks Mojo

I’ve been googling but can’t find anything...looks like I may have to get the hammers and dollies out!

Be good to see some pics of yours...

I have a 1956 MG Magnette as well and you can buy a whole range of body panels for that!

I guess that’s a measure of popularity...

Regards

Mike

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 am

Hi Mike, hope this helps you

Attachments
WP_20151112_001.jpg

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:00 am

Such a relief to know it is going to a 'good' home !
I have just been out to look at the curve of the wheel arch. It is an uncomplicated 15.5", maybe 16" radius with a 90deg turnover.
Unlike the '50's, 60's cars that had the wheel arch slightly raised away from the 'flat of the body of the car.
Might be worth searching the 'Autojumbles' for some spare panels for 80's/90's cars ?

Canesplitter

Post by Canesplitter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks John...rest assured no fibreglass bodging here!

The pics from mojo are helpful ( thanks again mojo) and if there’s no alternative I might have to take an angle grinder to a scrap car as a pattern

I have found a 16v car nearby which has been sitting for 6 years but has only done 78k miles ...I’m negotiating to buy that but again too good to scrap...this may become a habit!

If anyone does have a shell beyond saving which is within 100 miles of Shropshire or Mid Wales and has decent wheel arches let me know please?

Regards

Mike

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 am

I had the same problem with the Flying Machine and was told by the body shop that the only solution was renewal to which I replied that new panels were not available. "You leave that to us" was the reply! They made new arches and I cant see the join and neither can anyone else so I don't think its a big problem to the trade.

As for the mileage, my 16v was running perfectly at 285k (still doing 31.4mpg as it was when I bought it at delivery mileage) without anything other than servicing to the engine or gearbox being needed, (and it was still on its original clutch)!
Mind you, I'd had to change all the other usual suspects, but that's called maintenance and servicing. Personally, I think neglect does more harm than miles as witnessed by the hidden problems I had with the FM which had just 78k when I bought it in 2014. Cosmetically, it was good, but it was a disaster when you started digging. John's may have 230k, but if I'm any judge, its been looked after properly by an engineer who understands and respects engineering so I think you might have a good long term investment there.

Canesplitter

Post by Canesplitter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks Sunfly... it was Johns engineering background that convinced me ... I’m also not afraid of high mileage cars generally and have a few with what most people think are high mileage 130k+.. good quality oil and regular oil and filter changes are something that I’ve always done and touch wood that has done well for me over the years

It’s good to hear other probes can handle the high mileage ... although I suspect this one will be leading a quieter life once it’s restored body wise .... in about 30 years it might even have equalised out and be about average mileage!

Regards

Mike

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 am

You can get these universal sections for the lips but I suppose it depends how far it was spread into the rear quarter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WH ... :rk:9:pf:0

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Canesplitter wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:18 am
Thanks Sunfly... it was Johns engineering background that convinced me ... I’m also not afraid of high mileage cars generally and have a few with what most people think are high mileage 130k+.. good quality oil and regular oil and filter changes are something that I’ve always done and touch wood that has done well for me over the years

It’s good to hear other probes can handle the high mileage ... although I suspect this one will be leading a quieter life once it’s restored body wise .... in about 30 years it might even have equalised out and be about average mileage!

Regards

Mike
How can you not respect a man who wraps the notoriously difficult to remove, lower wishbone bolts, in Denso tape! Its like bathing in asses milk is that!

And don't forget the coolant, Mike. The 6 cyl engine heats up phenomenally quickly so there cant be a lot of body mass to the engine drawing heat away, so all the work to regulate the engine temp is being done by the coolant treatment, radiator, fans and thermostat. I changed the rad, thermo and coolant out of principle, and the pump because it had a leak. After 18 years I thought that was the right decision.