Air bags

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
david_toft

Air bags

Post by david_toft » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 am

Is it possible to disable the passenger airbag I want to use a child seat in the front.
Thanks

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Air bags

Post by Kit » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Yes, but don’t ask me how !

You “link” out the wiring , in some way, at the connector behind the glove box, so the “blue box” thinks it’s working

Kit

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I dont know as I am no tecchy but be aware it may trigger the air bag not working light on dash.The only reason I say that is in an old probe the air bag light came on when that connector became loose.
Hopefully someone else will know for sure.

paulinpoole

Post by paulinpoole » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 pm

yes ive done this,first disconnect battery for 10 minutes
then drop glove box dowm,remove the airvent plastic pipe,and find the orange connector,(grey foam around wires and connector) disconnect it and put a 1..2 ohm resistor on the two terminals inside orange plug,or chop wire and fix it on,remember make sure you put resistor on the wiring loom side not the airbag side 8-)

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 pm

paulinpoole wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 pm
yes ive done this,first disconnect battery for 10 minutes
then drop glove box dowm,remove the airvent plastic pipe,and find the orange connector,(grey foam around wires and connector) disconnect it and put a 1..2 ohm resistor on the two terminals inside orange plug,or chop wire and fix it on,remember make sure you put resistor on the wiring loom side not the airbag side 8-)
Ford call the resistor the "shorting bar". Its a nominal 1 ohm. When the module is checking the system, if it sees 1 ohm across pins 9 and 11 it knows that circuit is healthy because the shorting bar is adjacent the airbag. Thus shorting one ohm anywhere across the circuit will work providing the circuit to the airbag was disconnected. Would I tinker with this system - not personally!

david_toft

Post by david_toft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

I had a look in the book and had a look up the back of the glove box and decided to take your advice and leave it alone and put the seat in the back. The standard seat belt isn't long enough to go round the kiddy seat as it should, so I had a look at the seat instructions. What a good idea! turns out you don't have to disable the air bag, so the kiddy seat is in the front.
Thanks for your advice.