Normal or modified exhaust?

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Alan8086

Normal or modified exhaust?

Post by Alan8086 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:27 am

Hello All, just wondered if someone could eyeball my back box - it looks like a normal mild steel thing to me but I've always assumed it has some sort of 'sports' exhaust from the row it makes from the rear end. No leaks or anything.

I was on the Mway a while back, a Lambo came up behind me ( I got out of the way! ) It struck me how similar the sound was when ones foot is down a little. A pretty high pitched 'buzz' is how is describe it.

Last SS exhaust I had was on Scimitar - nice n shiny, unlike what's on my GT

Thanks for any comment!

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Normal or modified exhaust?

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:50 pm

It does look like a mild steel one to me, but I guess depending on the manufacture it could some very different. Is it your first 24v, because it might just be that you are not familiar with the some of a 24v?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Looks like a standard 24v zorst as Mild Steel,the tips are usually just tack welded to the
2 outer pipes ,have a look underneath u will have a part number on the rear silencer if a copy
but check to see if you have a mid silencer if front of the rear wheels as maybe bypassed

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:05 pm

There is a mid silencer and I'll have a closer look at the back box for markings etc.

It is loud though when I take off abit in 2nd 5th etc. Workmates have commented - one who has one of those 8cylinder BMW 5 series things that seem to be sold just for burnouts etc.

I guess I can't believe it would have left the ford/Mazda factory sounding like it does.

Who was the 24v marketed at?

I remember the adverts being semi executive back in the 90s - maybe that was the 2L?

Not complaining though, and yes - my first 24v/Probe 😊

Thanks for your replies!

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm

I also think it’s a standard, back box,
May be there are some of the baffles inside the box, missing.

Recently, took off the PowerFlow back box, this was very strong note. Reason, the mid section hanger had rotted away.
Replaced it with a CAT back stainless steel system, now it’s soooo.... quiet, I could believe the difference :o

Kit