Heated rear window (just!)

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
english elk

Heated rear window (just!)

Post by english elk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi all.
Today’s return to frost in the morning has reminded me that my rear window heating barely works and it takes a ridiculously long time to clear. Is this normal and if not, is there anything I can do about it? Any suggestions?
Best regards,
Nigel.

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Heated rear window (just!)

Post by Kit » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Does all the elements get ‘hot’, or do you have bands that don’t clear :?:

Kit

english elk

Post by english elk » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am

Hi Kit. It’s the same all over. It appears to be warm enough to just clear along the elements but not warm enough to clear in between for ages. Nigel.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Kit wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:18 pm
Does all the elements get ‘hot’, or do you have bands that don’t clear :?:

Kit
I'll be interested to hear whats said about this as my lower 4 dont work this season, so I'm guessing they are in sets of 4 in parallel and I've got a break in the +tve or -tve connection. The rest dont seem to work quite so well now but that might be my imagination!

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:54 am

Problem is those 'strips of element material' are slowly oxidising away , becoming more resistive in the process hence losing power.
Then there is mechanical breakage if the tiniest 'something' on the parcel shelf touches the strip.
No easy answer I'm afraid.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:03 pm

jrh wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:54 am
Problem is those 'strips of element material' are slowly oxidising away , becoming more resistive in the process hence losing power.
Then there is mechanical breakage if the tiniest 'something' on the parcel shelf touches the strip.
No easy answer I'm afraid.
Hi John.
You being a lecky, do you know of a conductive tape with a conductive adhesive that might bridge such damage (I'm not suggesting the resistive sections so much as the common sections hidden behind the trim which I assume without checking is etched and not hard wired) The reason I ask is that I recently installed electric underfloor heating in my summerhouse and each time you cut the mat to effect a turn you had to bridge the gap with conductive tape to keep earth continuity. A wild idea I admit as we are talking consistent amps not occasional milliamps as with the earth continuity but it got me wondering if there is such a product.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:00 pm

Andy W wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Is this stuff any good?

https://www.frost.co.uk/electro-connector-repair-kit/
Nice one Andy. Just the job if it does what is says on the tin! :D I'll wait for the better weather then find out whats gone wrong. (Semi laid up at the moment)

english elk

Post by english elk » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Many thanks to everyone who has tried to help with this problem. It looks like it’s just old age and I have to live with it! I’m afraid that’s the story of my life these days. To be honest I wish my aching bones worked as well as my Probe at the moment!!! Regards to all. Nigel.