Steering wheel control buttons

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Bikergonebald

Steering wheel control buttons

Post by Bikergonebald » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help for a small project on my MX6. I want to add stereo volume control buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, I already have cruise control on the right. The wheel doesn’t have an airbag.

For the buttons I will ideally use another set of cruise control buttons or could use some from a land rover or Rover 25. The buttons are the easy bit.

The difficulty is getting the cables in to the steering wheel. I need to get an extra pair of wires so I can use / make a resistive controller compatible with my pioneer head unit. There are already 3 wires in the wheel.

I’ve seen that on some Probes they have cruise control and stereo controls on the steering wheel, do they have 5 wires going in to the wheel or does it use a resistive circuit with 3 wires for all controls?

Thanks for any help. If anyone has photos of the slip ring or arrangement for getting the wires in to the wheel it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Steering wheel control buttons

Post by Kit » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:26 am

I think the ‘clock spring’, has only 3 wires on it.

I’ll have a look when I get home

Kit

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:44 am

Kevin,

Where have you seen a Probe steering wheel that has both cruise and radio volume, as it's not something that I have seen before.

As for asking questions on here, you carry on, as your MX6, is our close cousin 8-)
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm

I found a picture of the steering wheel with controls with a google search.

The picture is just a standard steering wheel, with cruise control, both buttons are used, so not sure how you will make it work with the radio too?
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:21 pm

If I got a clock spring from a car with an airbag then that would give me wires to use. I guess the Probe, MX-6 and 626 would be the same part.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Few Photos of the back of the Probe air bag

The connector to the ‘clock spring’, is just three way, but five wires come from this to the two switches, 2 No Blues , 2No Black/white trace + 1no. Pink.
The off/on/button , on the left hand side, has 3 wires (Blue, Black & Pink) running to it.
The speed control button on the right hand side has just two wires ( Blue & Black)
Both buttons are for the Cruise Control on the Probe.

Hope this is helpful

Kit