HT Lead Brackets 24v

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Twizzle

Re: HT Lead Brackets

Post by Twizzle » Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 am

Sunfly wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 am
Twizzle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 am
I'm happy to make these if anybody is interested. For those that are familiar with 3D printing they take over 13hrs to print as I make them as a solid unit for strength and not hollow, which is the standard procedure, which in turn means they use quite a lot of filament (material) so not cheap on material or electric. They're printed in ABS which has a melting point of 500F or 260c. At the moment I can make them in Black or Blue, looking to do some in red but need to make an order up for the filament as buying a single roll isn't cheap (£5.00 postage on top of the price for a single roll). I can't do them any cheaper than £10 for a full set to full members only :) If anybody is interested just let me know and I can drop them off at fest :D
Hi Twizzle. You've done a brilliant job of these clips and I would guess they will do their job well where they are located because of the air flow but can I alert you to a potential problem that might be worth checking. If it is ABS you are using, I think you've been quoted the printer injector head temperature rather than the glass transition temperature (when ABS goes floppy) because that starts at about 110deg C. My company vacuum mold a lot of ABS and it goes like pastry from about 110 to 140 deg C.
There are only a few plastics that are capable of retaining their properties above 200c, PTFE being the most common. Its one of the few plastics we can use to make powder coating plugs and shields from, as most plastics transition well below the 210 to 230c curing oven temperature. With safety in mind, can I suggest you put a thermometer in the hottest location for the clips and just check it stays well below 110c.
Yeah your correct about the temps you mention which is why I did a lot of research on this due to possible temperature issues and contacted the manufactures and also am a member of a forum site called practical prints who make things, other than hero statues :D , that are needed around the house like things that have broken and are either too expensive to buy or just don’t exist and a lot of people make things for old cars and use ABS although they have also stated that they wouldn’t use ABS if in direct contact with the hottest part of the engine and would use Nylon. The manufactures claim is that their ABS has a glass transition temperature point of 125C or 257f, although I’m pretty sure that cheaper brands wouldn’t come close. Car engines are said to run at temperatures of between 195-200f so all good there. I’ve had mine on now for about 4 months just to be doubly sure and are still good, also to be even safer I’ve printed these solid and not with your usual hollow infill. I seem to remember that there was a similar conversation about this when a member made head light surrounds to replace the rusty ones and some members mentioned the main beam temperature but can’t remember what material was used but never heard anybody having any issues although I appreciate that's slightly different here :) thanks for pointing this out though always worth a heads up just in case 8-)

fuerte

Re: HT Lead Brackets 24v

Post by fuerte » Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm

I am happy still and I am a worrier from hell.

Sunfly

Re: HT Lead Brackets

Post by Sunfly » Sat May 25, 2019 7:50 pm

Twizzle wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 am
Sunfly wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 am
Twizzle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 am
I'm happy to make these if anybody is interested. For those that are familiar with 3D printing they take over 13hrs to print as I make them as a solid unit for strength and not hollow, which is the standard procedure, which in turn means they use quite a lot of filament (material) so not cheap on material or electric. They're printed in ABS which has a melting point of 500F or 260c. At the moment I can make them in Black or Blue, looking to do some in red but need to make an order up for the filament as buying a single roll isn't cheap (£5.00 postage on top of the price for a single roll). I can't do them any cheaper than £10 for a full set to full members only :) If anybody is interested just let me know and I can drop them off at fest :D
Hi Twizzle. You've done a brilliant job of these clips and I would guess they will do their job well where they are located because of the air flow but can I alert you to a potential problem that might be worth checking. If it is ABS you are using, I think you've been quoted the printer injector head temperature rather than the glass transition temperature (when ABS goes floppy) because that starts at about 110deg C. My company vacuum mold a lot of ABS and it goes like pastry from about 110 to 140 deg C.
There are only a few plastics that are capable of retaining their properties above 200c, PTFE being the most common. Its one of the few plastics we can use to make powder coating plugs and shields from, as most plastics transition well below the 210 to 230c curing oven temperature. With safety in mind, can I suggest you put a thermometer in the hottest location for the clips and just check it stays well below 110c.
Yeah your correct about the temps you mention which is why I did a lot of research on this due to possible temperature issues and contacted the manufactures and also am a member of a forum site called practical prints who make things, other than hero statues :D , that are needed around the house like things that have broken and are either too expensive to buy or just don’t exist and a lot of people make things for old cars and use ABS although they have also stated that they wouldn’t use ABS if in direct contact with the hottest part of the engine and would use Nylon. The manufactures claim is that their ABS has a glass transition temperature point of 125C or 257f, although I’m pretty sure that cheaper brands wouldn’t come close. Car engines are said to run at temperatures of between 195-200f so all good there. I’ve had mine on now for about 4 months just to be doubly sure and are still good, also to be even safer I’ve printed these solid and not with your usual hollow infill. I seem to remember that there was a similar conversation about this when a member made head light surrounds to replace the rusty ones and some members mentioned the main beam temperature but can’t remember what material was used but never heard anybody having any issues although I appreciate that's slightly different here :) thanks for pointing this out though always worth a heads up just in case 8-)
Four months is a good test. Obviously I was thinking fire and hot exhaust but as mentioned, there's a good air flow over the engine. Looks like you've solved another supply problem so well done mate 8-) !

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Tony,
Sent us your address
I’ll put the 16v samples in the post.
There are four types :!:

Two cable
Three cable. (clip broken underneath, but same as the two cable one
Four cables in a line
Four cables in square

Then you can give them back to me at Probefest

Kit

Twizzle

Post by Twizzle » Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Kit wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 pm
Tony,
Sent us your address

Two cable
Four cables in a line
Four cables in square

Kit
Very good of matey thanks for that PM sent

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Kit wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 pm
Tony,
Sent us your address

Two cable
Four cables in a line
Four cables in square

Kit
Here are the cable clip arrangements for both S1 & S3 Dizzy’s

I note, there’s 4 cable clip that’s fixed to cam cover, right hand side, I haven’t sent you one I’ve these, may be you could come up with one :idea:

Kit

Twizzle

Post by Twizzle » Sun May 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks Duncan didn’t even know that there was two types of engine, shows how much I know about 16v’s :D

fanman

Post by fanman » Thu May 30, 2019 3:38 pm

Mine is S1, like bottom picture. ;)

nick
WebMaster

Post by nick » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Cool, somebody else with a 3D printer! I have never attempted ABS with mine but made all sorts from PLA.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm

nick wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Cool, somebody else with a 3D printer! I have never attempted ABS with mine but made all sorts from PLA.
I said to Tony on Sunday that you would be interested in these, as you also had a 3D printer
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎