Rad cap query updated gutted

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
fuerte

Rad cap query updated gutted

Post by fuerte » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm

I need to go to carlisle tommorow.garage had done thermostat change and I thought they had put the rad caps on wrong way round so swapped them over and car losing water.
Booked into garage at 2pm but think I may be wrong where does flat cap go and where does pressure cap Go?
Cant attach photos too large
Last edited by fuerte on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Rad cap query urgent if possible

Post by mojo98 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm

the flat cap goes on the filler port (drivers side,) near Dip Stick, water pump
the Pressure cap goes on the passenger side next to the rad

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm

mojo98 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm
the flat cap goes on the filler port (drivers side,) near Dip Stick, water pump
the Pressure cap goes on the passenger side next to the rad
Wicked.Thanks for quick reply Malc.
So I was right and they got it wrong.So now they are on the right way again.
So second question is could the wrong one have damaged the cap and how far can I go before checking for water loss?I have an array of caps I can take just in case.Am I right in remembering you can use a pressure cap on either side but not the flat cap?
Good news is we are replacing lost info.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Sorry and this bit isnt urgent whats the name of the manufacturer of blue coolant that is good.The name begins with a b I think?

fuerte

Re: Rad cap query updated gutted

Post by fuerte » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 pm

So I thought I was set to go to Carlisle spare rad caps in car.I had arranged for a local garage that someone had recommended to me to look at it at 2pm so I thought I would pop down and have a quick word with them and sound them out for next time to see if they looked ok.
So 3 guys surrounded my car in awe one having noticed it in my road and they gave it a good look over and suggested I put the new rad cap on as it looked was leaking.While they were double checking it I heard a noise that got worse as they revved it sounding a bit like rubbing to me.
They agreed thinking it was a belt rubbing on the cover but they cannot look at it until Wednesday.
I had cambelt done when I got it and all belts and tensioners no prizes for guessing by who and for the record that is not a dis to that person.
May not be that could be anything.
Anyway so carlisle to see my favourite band is off as they cannot even look at it until Wednesday.I have Green Flag but it is not worth the risk and I didnt like the sound its making.
Better not to risk my car.
Duncan don't be surprised if I post for cambelt covers if there are any left intact out there and hopefully I am wrong and it will be something simple.
Just gutted because my first night out since Alabama 3 in Chepstow.
Oh well.