Mot advisories updated

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
fuerte

Re: Mot advisorirs

Post by fuerte » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 pm

cpt black wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm
As Andy said its the Flexi Part it,s not a failure unless its actullay blowing ;)
You will find its only the Guaze that covers it thats deteriated and nothing more
I cut mine off 8 years ago as 1 off the rings attached was clanking around and still
good this day ;) Elaine
Few puns in there Elaine but all true
Enjoy all the best
Kev
Blind to the puns but satellite delay will clear tommorow when my brain has had a chance to recover.lol

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:04 pm

There is still a pipe inside the flexi so it shouldn't be leaking.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Andy W wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:04 pm
There is still a pipe inside the flexi so it shouldn't be leaking.
He didnt say it was leaking just that the flexi pipe was an advisory.He said it didnt need doing until it started blowing but I said I wanted in done before next MOT.
I needed to know what it was and how easy it was to get.
Then I usually get the advisories done before the next MOT.
I will know more on Monday when he will show me the certificate and I can see the part on the car.
Thanks to all the replies I have a good idea now and I understand things better when I can see it.
Its the tester having a bad day and being picky.lol

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm

When you find out how much the front pipe for a 24v is :o

You may put it off for a bit ;)

Kit

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Kit wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:46 pm
When you find out how much the front pipe for a 24v is :o

You may put it off for a bit ;)

Kit
Who said owning a probe was a cheap option.lol

Slick

Post by Slick » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Personally, I think in many cases advisories are a bloody con!

If car is safe and complies, they’ll pass an MOT!
If it isn’t, it fails and they say why.....

Seen too many places give a list of advisories as long as your bloody arm in the hope of getting work out of it😡

Flexi will be fine, common issue that has no real effect whatsoever, totally superficial, unless the exhaust is actually blowing, which it isnt😎
Wait for it to start blowing, it’ll be years if ever, I’ll bet!

Same with brake lines, a bit of rust on them and they’ll advise, if they ain’t leaking or showing any signs of leaking then crack on, cars are 20 years old ++, of course there’s bloody rust 😂

As for picky, I just had an arse moan that headlight surrounds were rusty 🤔👀 that’s bloody picky 😀😀

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:42 am

Slick wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 pm
Personally, I think in many cases advisories are a bloody con!

If car is safe and complies, they’ll pass an MOT!
If it isn’t, it fails and they say why.....

Seen too many places give a list of advisories as long as your bloody arm in the hope of getting work out of it😡

Flexi will be fine, common issue that has no real effect whatsoever, totally superficial, unless the exhaust is actually blowing, which it isnt😎
Wait for it to start blowing, it’ll be years if ever, I’ll bet!

Same with brake lines, a bit of rust on them and they’ll advise, if they ain’t leaking or showing any signs of leaking then crack on, cars are 20 years old ++, of course there’s bloody rust 😂

As for picky, I just had an arse moan that headlight surrounds were rusty 🤔👀 that’s bloody picky 😀😀
To be honest I am fuming with the test centre It wasnt my mechanic so they were not getting any work.
He said like you neither jobs needed doing and the tester was overzeoulos.
And this will make you laugh it had a headlight advisory too!!!!!I had lost the plot by then and didnt ask anymore as the mechanic said he could sort that.And he is cleaning rust off end of brake lines cos that is all it is.
He doesnt need nor really want the work so its not that the tester is his mate.
He said in 30 years of taking cars to be tested he has find every tester has a thing they are into eg tyres etc.
And we both reckoned they put some advisories on to cover their arse.

I can chill for now but I couldnt cope with the stress of taking a car in for an mot next year that had advisories.
But I told him not to go back to that anal test centre.
I just wanted to know if parts were easy to come by.

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 am

NO, do not take the gauze off !
Like the others have said, if you hear the exhaust 'puffing ' from that front end, then it is 'the end'.
Looks like you have the 'standard' exhaust , easily obtainable on-line for £98 ,BUT do double check before ordering..
That flexible section is necessary , I truly would not have a replacement made up with it missing.
Speed bumps have a lot to do with your exhaust problem.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:34 am

jrh wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:05 am
NO, do not take the gauze off !
Like the others have said, if you hear the exhaust 'puffing ' from that front end, then it is 'the end'.
Looks like you have the 'standard' exhaust , easily obtainable on-line for £98 ,BUT do double check before ordering..
That flexible section is necessary , I truly would not have a replacement made up with it missing.
Speed bumps have a lot to do with your exhaust problem.
Can you easily replace the Flexi hose.If so I have found one for a Mazda 626 £25.The exhaust you mention I have found too and it lists it as being suitable for a Mazda 626 too.I have sent a message to check.
I am thinking of either just buying the flexi hose or for the extra and age of the car it may be cheaper just replace the whole exhaust?
Also I have found a brake pipe kit 12 quid ish with fittings.If I buy that then I can maybe replace the relevant fittings and have pipe spare for the future.
If I have the parts ready then I can keep them until the car goes in next and just before the MOT and my mechanic can do any work before the MOT he thinks needs doing.He is very good and will definitely tell me if it doesnt need doing.
A few quid spent is worth 10x the amount if reduces stress and with my dogs health I need that.
So I think thats the plan.Get the parts and keep until I need.
Cheers

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am

If you can, wait awhile until you can get a trusted verdict on what 'really' needs doing on that list.
'We' would hate to see you buy something that cannot be used .
Just to expand on that 'gauze', it is a vital item to protect the 'bellows' section underneath it from road abrasion AND prevents the bellows from
stretching too far lengthways.