Handbrake caliper mystery

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Handbrake caliper mystery

Post by Kit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Mickaleen59 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm
Ordered 3 handbrake cables for the Probe they are "Japanparts BC 300 and BC301" for left and right.and "Firstline FKB 1728" for the centre cable.
When mechanic went to fit them he said they were the wrong cables, the ones on the car has different fittings he says. The thing is, when I look up the part numbers on the Japanparts website it says those cables suit all year Probes and Mazda mx6 and 626's and Xedos.
I've looked up lots of other brand names on eBay etc and they all look the same as the Japanparts cables, there doesn't seem to be any others with different fittings!!!
Question is, has anyone come across this situation before and is there any variations of fittings?
All ideas, solutions etc welcome please.
Yes,
The Boss today :!:

But it was easily sorted

Kit

Mickaleen59

Post by Mickaleen59 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Kit wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm
Mickaleen59 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm
Ordered 3 handbrake cables for the Probe they are "Japanparts BC 300 and BC301" for left and right.and "Firstline FKB 1728" for the centre cable.
When mechanic went to fit them he said they were the wrong cables, the ones on the car has different fittings he says. The thing is, when I look up the part numbers on the Japanparts website it says those cables suit all year Probes and Mazda mx6 and 626's and Xedos.
I've looked up lots of other brand names on eBay etc and they all look the same as the Japanparts cables, there doesn't seem to be any others with different fittings!!!
Question is, has anyone come across this situation before and is there any variations of fittings?
All ideas, solutions etc welcome please.
Yes,
The Boss today :!:

But it was easily sorted

Kit
Are U saying that these cables do fit, or what has to be done to make them fit?

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm

I'll let Micron, tell the full details, as he was the cable changer today

Kit

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Yes, I changed all three cables today, I was only going to change the two handed cables, but had to change the adjuster cable because the nipples on the handed cables were different sizes to the holes on the adjuster cable!

The when I went to fit them, the why they are achoured is also different, I had to get some retaining clips use daily on the other end of the brakes to hold them in place.

It was the first time I had ever done it, and thankfully no studs were broken 8-)
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Mickaleen59

Post by Mickaleen59 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:41 pm

It's sorted, finally☺
Convinced the mechanic that the cables would fit after telling him I got advice from ukpoc club members and showing him pictures from the Ford workshop manual.
He fitted the 3 cables and replacement calliper and bingo the problem is solved😊
Brought it in for 2nd retest and passed with flying colours, happy days😉👌

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:55 am

Well done on the Pass now time to enjoy
Kev

jrh

Post by jrh » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:14 am

Now that everything is working nicely , one fine warm dry day, take the rear wheels off and wrap some strips of DENSO tape round
the spindle of that lever ( between the caliper body and lever) which is attached to the brake cable.
Really mould it into the gap.
The ONLY problem with those rear calipers is caused by water droplets sitting in that gap, causing corrosion of the spindle, seal leaks even more,
spindle seizes in bore, brakes stay jammed on. End.