24v Strange behaviour...

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Mondeo55

24v Strange behaviour...

Post by Mondeo55 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Evening all,

Having a slightly odd problem with probe v6. Its long story.....

Its been sitting on my drive undercover for some weeks now until I get space in my garage to get it in and give it the TLC it needs. I've been going out weekly and starting it, allowing it to get up temp etc.

Two weeks ago it wouldn't start and the battery went flat. I got round to getting it removed and charged and hooked it back up yesterday. I cranked it over but the crank speed sounded much faster than ever before and again the car wouldn't Start. It tried once and spluttered straight out.

I let it alone for an hour thinking maybe it was flooded. When I climbed in through the passenger door (its tight against a wall) I must have knocked it into gear and ended up shooting forward by two cranks! Amateur I know!! Car still refused to start only this time the starter had gone all sluggish sounding and the battery indicator would drop to empty. Trying again a split second later and crank speed was fast again followed by sluggish, as if it was sticking or struggling to spin. On this final attempt the cars cooling fan came on out of no where. The battery indicator was showing good too.

I removed the ignition key and the fans stopped and I removed the battery. Took it to Halfords for a test and battery came back fine and fully charged.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Was thinking the starter may have given up and has shorted out possibly?

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: 24v Strange behaviour...

Post by mojo98 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Before anybody starts give information, I believe more information is required

What year is the 24V , is it early or later, has it still got the fob or not

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Its a 1995 early model with no fob. It had start issues previously which was low petrol related though i think its in need of a damn good service which isn't helping it. Plan to change fluids, filters, plugs, leads dizzy, cap and rotor when I get it in garage. It will catch but spluttered and cut out.

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 am

My first thoughts would be as the Battery was off for a couple of weeks the ECU will have lost its settings so the Car may be a bit strange until it learns everything again.
As for the different cranking speeds, this could be a sign that the Starter Motor has seen better days.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 am

Appears slightly similar to my ongoing issues in respect of the fans running.

Have replaced pretty much everything except the ECU but still every now and again the fans come on with the ignition (before starting).

My initial thought was coolant level as this can sometimes happen, but coolant is fine. (Check yours).

In order to get mine running each time this happens, I have to spray some Easy-start into the MAF. Generally, once it's warmed up it's OK for the rest of the day.

I'm pretty sure mine is either electrical or vacuum related but haven't managed to track it down yet.
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Update: I hooked the battery up to a smart charger and ran a cycle. Since hooking it back up the car is cranking normal but no spark so won't start. Dizzy, coil, leads or plugs I'd expect

Slick

Post by Slick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 am

Dizzy number?
Pretty sure I have a spare here for sale! Or maybe could swap em over to rule it out......

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 am

When you say no fob,have you checked the immobiliser wiring to see if
the 3 curcits have been bypassed and the immobiliser is completly removed
as you seem to have Fuel/Starter but no Ignition(NO SPARK)
which maybe the issue when you said it had fuel related problems

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:46 pm

OK, I have (hopefully) sorted my problem. It appears to have been a dodgy connection on the CPU. At least, since I unplugged it and plugged it all back in again, the car has started first turn of the key, and the fans aren't running, so I'm hopeful (he says tentatively.)

Might be worth looking at it if the car has been sat for a while.
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 pm

I did say sort the cpu out ages ago nice to hear its running ;)