Found my Weird Flappy Noise

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Alan8086

Found my Weird Flappy Noise

Post by Alan8086 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

In a previous post I was enquiring as to the likely source of what I called a 'flappy noise'

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=598&p=3584&hilit=f ... oise#p3562

I have located the noise to around the timing belt area - found a youtube vid that is exactly like it - sounds less flappy now! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePiMW0Sjm2k

I think I must have the same issue - a worn timing belt tensioner that is making the belt 'slap' against the pully. Its exactly the noise in the vid. Odd thing is, it varies in loudness. When i start the engine and its really loud, i stop and restart a few times and I can get the noise to go away.

Does anyone have any insight on this or words of wisdom if you have had the same issue> The timing belt looks fine, although I should probably have replaced it as part of my 'what to fix on a new car' list to eliminate any unknowns?

I'll take a look in my Haynes manual this evening (which i usually find short on useful detail!) I take it removing the tensioner doesn't mean removing the timing belt?! Its all under the timing belt cover?

Thanks for any comment,

Alan.

mikenali

Re: Found my Weird Flappy Noise

Post by mikenali » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am

My thoughts are, if it was the tensioner I'd expect the noise to be there all the time. The tensioner on the 24v is just a bar under hydraulic pressure which pushes against the tensioner pulley. So should put a fairly constant pressure. Starting and restarting the engine shouldn't really effect it. Unless the heat increases the pressure in the tensioner cylinder. Not sure if it would do that though.

HLA noise can be stopped sometimes by stopping and restarting the engine, and often gets quieter when the engine warms up.

However, if the noise goes when the car warms up, suggests it could be something like the tensioner pulley bearing. Just had a drama with my Focus alternator. It had a squeak when cold that would go away when warm, that turned out to be bearings in the alternator pulley. Might be an idea to remove the alternator and power steering belts, and run the engine to see if the noise is still there. If it is at least it'll discount the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump. Don't run the engine long though, as the water pump won't be running.

If you're going to take the cam belt covers off to check or change the tensioner, I think I'd go the whole hog and change the timing belt, and water pump while I was at it. It isn't a lot more work, but once done you can forget about it for a good few years.

Noises like this can be a real pain to diagnose