VSS location?

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Dai102

VSS location?

Post by Dai102 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 am

Working on a probe 95’ 2.0L MT . I am hunting down the cause of a inoperable speedometer. Need to find the VSS location. Searched on the top and scratched knuckles from searching in the back of the trans. But no luck finding it. Conflicting info found online and the manuals say its on the rear right of the transmission. So a small hint from experienced enthusiasts, will help. Thanks

https://postimg.cc/KK23kcbK

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: VSS location?

Post by mojo98 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 am

To get to the VVS you will need to remove your air box, and large pipe to the Throttle body and its at the back of the gearbox (top) will try and get a picture of it from my spare Engine/gearbox :D

on another note, have you considered joining as a full member, it will give you access to the oracle and more, there is a lot of information on the full site to help keep our cars on the road, it cost £10 per year and to be honest members find it worth it with some of the information/help you can get

Last edited by mojo98 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:40 am

Just remember the 2.0l vss is different to a 2.5l vss ;) they have
a different cog ;)
As mal said join the club and you may find a member with one to sell ;)

Dai102

Post by Dai102 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:08 am

Thank you, I found it. The VSS is located on the top rear of the transmission. It is directly beneath air hose resonance chamber. With a flashlight, socket wrench extension and patience I removed it.

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:57 am

Well done.
Was there anything obviously wrong with it, like the nylon 'gear' worn away ?

Dai102

Post by Dai102 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Identifying the problem is my next challenge. Nothing appeared wrong on the surface.

The VSS gears were in good condition. When rotating the gears by hand I show 5 volts and 250 ohms resistance. The wires connecting the instrument cluster and the VSS are less than 5 ohms resistance. Next, the SP + and SP - terminals on back of speedometer showed little to no resistance.
So now, I'm scratching my brow and looking at the cluster again. Perhaps the problem is the printed circuit, a mechanical problem with the speedometer or a few other things to find the cause. I didn't do a road test at the start, like the manuals says. So maybe I missed something!

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Fortunately ,this is a very simple circuit, two wires !!!!
The two wires from the VSS are connected to the cruise control circuit board, then in parallel to the speedometer.
So, disconnecting the wires from the cruise control to the speedometer, checks the cruise control unit alone.
Connecting the output of the VSS directly to the speedometer checks the speedometer.
The problem I had.
Everything worked for 20miles, then stopped.
No idea if it has been solved because it belongs to 'canesplitter' now.

Dai102

Post by Dai102 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Connecting the output of the VSS directly to the speedometer checks the speedometer.
The output of the VSS is AC 0-5.5 volts. Is it possible to set the VSS beside the cluster, connect the cluster speedometer terminals (SP+ and SP- ) and turn the VSS gears by hand? I am looking for a way to test testing the speedometer.

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Yes, it should be possible to 'fool' the speedometer into thinking the wheels are turning by switching the ignition on, driving the VSS with
a slow speed on a battery drill and connecting the two wires to the speedometer.
Just make sure the cruise control is not being back fed from anywhere.
If it works, then it is the cruise control electronics board that is faulty.

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am

Any progress on solving this problem ?
If so, what was faulty in the end ?