pulley removal

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
paulinpoole

pulley removal

Post by paulinpoole » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm

i will soon be getting my timing covers from rockautos,im goung to have a go at puting them on myself but i need a bit of advice on a couple of things.
will i need to take off the waterpump pulley to get the cover off ? and when ive used a breakerbar on the crankshaft bolt and got that out,will the crankshaft pulley slip off or will i need a puller ? if yes what type/size do i need
thanks guys :)

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: pulley removal

Post by mojo98 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Yes water pulley has to come off, (leave to belt under tension) while you use a 10mm spanner to undo the bolts on the water pump pulley
I just use a small leather hammer to tap the crank pulley (either side) and from slight behind the crank pulley and then just move it from side to side by hand (if that makes sense)

and don't forget before adjusting the belt undo the locking nut :D

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 am

I do break out in a cold sweat when I read about you trying to 'undo' that crankshaft nut without the proper tool.
That pulley has two tapped holes in it to take the bolts which hold the special slotted plate with a 'block' on the end' .
Bolting that to the pulley allows you to use as big and long bar as you need, to undo the nut , without straining any part of the transmission .
I gave the one I made to 'canesplitter' with the Probe but really the FPOC could do with one 'for hire'.

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 am

FPOC !!! what am I doing. Sorry, UKPOC

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 am

To remove the Crankshaft Pulley nut,

Jack up car & remove wheel, position on Alex stand
Remove the off side splash shield
21mm socket&breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt, with the bar resting on the ground,
Disconnect the wiring to the Dizzy.
With the car out of gear, start the car quickly the off, do this a few times, the cranking of the engine with shock the bolt lose, with the reaction of the breaker bar against the ground,
If it don’t go after 3or4 attempts ( never known on not to go). You may need to use a heavy duty ‘nut runner’ impact driver, or risk burning out the start motor.
With the nut lose, remove the Aux belts & get them out the way
Either make up a puller & get the pulley off that way.
Or gentle tap & wiggle the crankshaft pulley should come off
Don’t lose the ‘woodruff wedge key ‘

Hope I haven’t missed anything, if so, please correct me !

Kit

paulinpoole

Post by paulinpoole » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm

great thanks a lot guys,will update post when it arrives and have a go at it.
ok so i could pay a garage to do it,but wheres the self satisfaction with that eh :lol: :lol: