Inlet Air Control Valve Servicing

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Inlet Air Control Valve Servicing

Post by Sunfly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 pm

I took my spare I.A.C apart today and was a little disappointed to find that beyond an in-situ cleanup, it doesn't look very user serviceable, unlike the 16v which you could take apart completely. Gasket looked pretty good though! The Ford manual only talks about replacement so they obviously consider it unserviceable but someone forgot to tell spares we'd still be running them 21 years later so a bit of TLC probably wont do any harm.

I think Jon G outlined a procedure he used to check and clean it, but that's lost in the crash now I need it, but I'd like to know what you did Jon, if you could spare the time. I recall you mentioning checking the solenoid with a battery connection and was there something about setting your kitchen table alight? I've got an old table if that's essential to success!

Bob

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Re: Inlet Air Control Valve Servicing

Post by Jon G 24V » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Hiya Bob, thanks for remembering the Table :D :lol: :lol:
Once the Valve is off I filled it up with Carb Cleaner and then operated the Valve.
This is done via the Solenoid by flashing 12V across it to get it to open and close a few times and by heating and cooling the Wax Plug. This is how I burnt Kaz's table as I used a blow lamp first time :shock: :shock:
Now I would use a Hairdryer to heat and cool water to cool again.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks Jon, I thought it was something along those lines. I assume the carbon cleaner cant attack the wax?

I'll try the boring method then...! The hot air blower. I had visions of you doing a Kenny Everett and spontaneously combusting along with the table and carbon cleaner. Do you remember his D.I.Y sketches... :D :) absolutely brilliant man.

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am
Thanks Jon, I thought it was something along those lines. I assume the carbon cleaner cant attack the wax?

I'll try the boring method then...! The hot air blower. I had visions of you doing a Kenny Everett and spontaneously combusting along with the table and carbon cleaner. Do you remember his D.I.Y sketches... :D :) absolutely brilliant man.
I do remember the sketches and they were very funny :lol: :lol:

Carb Cleaner wont get to the Wax Plug as it is encased in the body of the Valve.
This why there are Coolant Pipes going to the Valve as the Heat from the Water melts the Wax as the Engine warms up and this is what gives you high idle when cold that comes down when warm (Choke in other words).

I do remember the last this Kaz said when she left was "Do not burn my new table" but i forgot abot the Water Ports and the Flame went straight through to the Table Top. I was not very popular when she came back :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Jon G 24V wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:14 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am

I do remember the sketches and they were very funny :lol: :lol:

Carb Cleaner wont get to the Wax Plug as it is encased in the body of the Valve.
This why there are Coolant Pipes going to the Valve as the Heat from the Water melts the Wax as the Engine warms up and this is what gives you high idle when cold that comes down when warm (Choke in other words).

I do remember the last this Kaz said when she left was "Do not burn my new table" but i forgot abot the Water Ports and the Flame went straight through to the Table Top. I was not very popular when she came back :roll: :roll: :roll:
You should have told her you were giving it the shabby chic look. That's all the rage these days, like tear's in jeans :D