cant engage any gear

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Alan8086

cant engage any gear

Post by Alan8086 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am

Hi All,

Wondered if you could offer me some ideas. Got in my Probe GT this morning, engaged 1st with some effort, moved out of space and something 'went' and I now cant engage any gears. Had to push the car back into the space in front of my house and walk to the docs!

I drove to Cheshire yesterday, took my mom out for a coffee somewhere nice. Noticed a dry sliding noise for a couple of secs when engaging 1st or 2nd when stationary (clutch depressed) Also seemed a bit harder to push it into gear. Abandoned the drive out before I got my mom stranded and went back to parents house.

I left for home early, fearing breakdown in the dark. At one point, joining a Mway roundabout, I couldn't get into 1st gear, a bang and the engine cut out. Re started engine and managed to get into gear and off. I put off joining the Motorway and followed the A56 all through Warrington. Gearbox felt not quite right but improved as the journey went on. Eventually joined the M62,M60,66 all the way home in stop start rush hour traffic. Things seemed ok.

Got in it this morning - bang - no gears!

I've done some reading elsewhere ( feel a bit lost wolothout the proper ukpoc site!) Seems it could be my slave cylinder, clutch, the lever/bearing thing that the cylinder pushes to engage the clutch? Could it be my gearbox?

Any thoughts/comments welcome :)

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: cant engage any gear

Post by Kit » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:18 am

Check oil in the gear box
Clutch operation, does it go to too the floor & stay there !

Kit

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:52 am

Check the clutch/brake reservior as the clutch hose under the battery tray may
have burst or split

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm

I can engage gears with engine off. It will be a few days before I can check the gearbox oil - I just found out I have Shingles! I'll take a look at the brake fluid. Is it a shared brake/clutch reservoir? When pressing the clutch, it doesn't stay down - feels normal but a bit lighter. as if there is less for it to press against?

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Thrust bearing started to brake up :?:
The ‘fingers’ on the pressure plate missing, broken off,
The only way you’re find out is to take the gear box off.

Try bleeding the clutch, how long has the fluid been in that part of the system :?:

Just a few thoughts

Kit

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 pm

moved to the garage
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Worst scenario release bearing gone though the clutch
plate fingers,then gearbox off and new clutch and bearing
Which might explain the bang as they snapped off :o

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Do you have any recommendations on buying a new clutch? Think I've had to have one clutch changed in 20 years of driving (MK1 MR2) The kits on eBay seem to range from £80 to £100 - are they good enough? I'm a pretty sedate driver!

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Ok - I just got my wife to pump the clutch pedal repeatedly. I can see no movement of the clutch arm where the slave cylinder is and it makes an unwelcome noise coming from the master cylinder. Haven't seen any fluid loss in the reservoir or obvious leaks at the slave or master ends. Only had a quick look though.

Hopefully we are moving away from an expensive clutch replacement and more towards a cheaper DIY clutch master replacement?

Do you tend to remove the manifold to get to the master cylinder or just squeeze hands down there?

Already had the manifold off twice of late!

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:15 pm

You can get a repair kit for the master cylinder from Rockautos in the States,

One of the bolts is undone from under the dashboard!

The rubbers in the master cylinder get weak, & fluid, isn’t pushed through to the slave cylinder to push the rod .

Kit