Headlight issues

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Funokata

Headlight issues

Post by Funokata » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:53 pm

Hi guys. Had an intermittent issue with the driving lights not turning off when I switch off main beam, or turning off a few seconds after. Gave the loom a wiggle where it comes around the radiator and goes to the rad fan/driving lights/earth block and the lights go off and I can hear the relay click. Figured there was a chafed wire or something. Stripped it all back and found nothing amiss. Cleaned up the little block where all the earths are and put it back together.

Now...it worked as it should briefly, then one light goes up one up and down twice and stays down, main beam on one only, and a buzzing noise from behind the dash for a second, then with key out the ignition barrel stays illuminated when it should dim..I feel like I'm going a bit mad, any ideas??

Oh also, what is the relay mounted in front of the radiator in a rubber sleeve?

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Headlight issues

Post by Micron » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:14 am

The common issue is a bad / faulty connector on the back of the lights, it can also have the affect of causing the driving lights to stay on.
The cure in most cases is a replacement connector, which will probably need crimps to connect the fly leads from the connector.

I believe that the relay in front of the rad is for the Air Bag system, it's the center sensor
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Funokata

Post by Funokata » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:08 pm

Do you mean the connector for the lights or the motors? Are they probe specific? Thanks

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:12 pm

Funokata wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:08 pm
Do you mean the connector for the lights or the motors? Are they probe specific? Thanks
For the lights, they are generic, when you look at them, you might find that they are burnt or tarnished, although some of your comments about the buzzing behind the dash is interesting.

i guess sometimes you have to look at the easy option first, before stripping down the whole car :o
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Tommyb 2579

Post by Tommyb 2579 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:40 am

Had a problem with my headlights recently wouldn’t work,tested bulbs,fuses,relay and wiring all good turned out to be indicator arm light switch arm,had a spare one so disconnected plugs under steering column connected spare one and everything worked,so then I had to strip steering wheel off to fit spare one,worth a try if you have a spare one.🤞

Funokata

Post by Funokata » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:37 am

Ah I don't sadly. I changed the headlight connectors on Saturday, they were covered in verdigris and a bit of corrosion. It's still playing up though, my headlights turn on, but if I flick to high beam then back to dipped the left light is fine but the right is very dim/just the parking light and the high beam indicator ok dash is illuminated dimly. The lights then won't retract if I turn them off or turn the ignition off even. I've swapped the driving light and headlight relays with no effect.

Any other obvious bits it might be before I go digging into the loom?

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:32 pm

Sounds like a bad earth or the stalk has gone bad i have a spare stalk unit if interested £17 posted
Kev

Funokata

Post by Funokata » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:01 pm

Found it! It was an earth in the block where they all terminate. In just the right position it loses continuity, I guess it moves around as I drive hence the intermittent issues.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:16 pm

Good news well done ;)

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:55 pm

Did you check the H4 connectors at rear of the headlight units, they often burn out

Kit