ENGINE MOMENTARILY CUTTING OUT

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Ecky101

ENGINE MOMENTARILY CUTTING OUT

Post by Ecky101 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:19 pm

2.5 engine Probe 1997.I experienced a no start situation .Engine cranking over but no start.Established no spark. Inspecting the ignition system starting at the distributor I found the carbon contact inside the distributor was very worn.Car has completed 85000 miles and I have onewd the car for 14 years .This is the first time I have experienced no start. I purchased a new distributoe cap ,once fitted the car started.Thought the repair was complete until I took the car for a drive and found that after approx 30 minutes driving there was an intermittent cut of what appeared to the ignition circuit as the rev counter dropped and the immobiliser light came on.The engine did stop sometimes if left to idle it would stop.but started right away.
No fautl codes recorded so thought it had to be a wiring fault .But Where. 'Eventuallly after having checked the continuity of of the earth wires everything checked out ok.I suppose this was natural as there was no fault until the engine ran for approx 30 minuets.After much head scratching I decided to dismantle the multi earth connection under the air filter box which is connected to the engine mounting bolt. I could not see anything obviously corroded or what would have appeared to be a poor connection.But after dismantling the connector and cleaning up the contacts from the engine mountng bolt through to the spade connectrors and sparaying all connections with electrical contact spray .The engine now runs perfectly satisfactory and has completed 100 miles since with no fault.Hope this might help someone if they experience something simillar .

jrh

Re: ENGINE MOMENTARILY CUTTING OUT

Post by jrh » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:44 pm

I hope you are right BUT always carry a good spare dissy in the boot................just in case.

Sunfly

Re: ENGINE MOMENTARILY CUTTING OUT

Post by Sunfly » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:23 pm

jrh wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:44 pm
I hope you are right BUT always carry a good spare dissy in the boot................just in case.
as John says! Dissy is notorious for everything you describe. Also remember that any break in the CPS circuit will cause a no start whilst cranking ok.