A strange knock

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Jeff

A strange knock

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 pm

Hi....can anyone help? I am looking to purchase v6 but car has annoying knocking which current owner is having problem resolving...one opinion suggests sunroof...another rear suspension...as it is distracting when driving it needs fixing but unsure how to proceed with differing ideas...in for a third inspection next week...any assistance appreciated.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: A strange knock

Post by Micron » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:02 pm

When does the knock happen, how and where is the car being driven? Have you tried driving with the sunroof open, does it go away? do you only notice it when you go over dips and bumps in the road, does it happen when braking, etc

As much information as possible will help here Jeff :D
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:10 pm

thanks for reply...the owner has noticed it at intervals...he believes it is drivers side rear whuch woukd preclude sunroof....alternative theories from two garages which is frustrating.....as if moving in a certain direction...one said it is failed welds in sunroof....he is getting it checked for a third time next week....relaying it via the current iwner so not easy to be very specific...exasperating

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:14 pm

my money is on the OSR suspension top mount, something might be loose. Mine does it sometimes, I just haven't got round to looking yet :lol:

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:15 pm

At rear could be drop lnks/rear strut towers/anti roll bar bushes

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Well, a very strange knock I had years ago in mine and I took ages to find it, until I got my daughter to sit in the boot as I drove (all health and safety measures in place obviously....) it was the hatch latch. Lubricated it and cured forever!

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:27 pm

Incognito wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 pm
Well, a very strange knock I had years ago in mine and I took ages to find it, until I got my daughter to sit in the boot as I drove (all health and safety measures in place obviously....) it was the hatch latch. Lubricated it and cured forever!
Have you let her out yet?

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:28 pm

Micron wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:27 pm
Incognito wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:22 pm
Have you let her out yet?
Had to, the whining got too much !