Screen wash bottle

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
colinrush

Screen wash bottle

Post by colinrush » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:27 pm

Hi,
This should be so simple but refuses to be solved.
Just recently the screen wash fluid level warning light came on. There is water in the bottle and pump is working. I thought the float may be stuck so pumped the water out of the container and replaced with warm soapy water. Then used a trombone cleaner to agitate the water. The light is still on. (Anyone who has owned a Boxster will know why I have a trombone cleaner). Any suggestions?
I have an MOT on Friday and unsure if it will pass with the washer fluid warning light on, even though it works ok. Was thinking the float must be a switch so could I trick the sensor by making it open circuit? Naughty but a possible temp solution. Just an observation… does the bottle hold much water - seems to fill up really quick. Almost like there is a blockage but as far as I can see there isn’t. I suspect I will be looking for a replacement washer bottle long term - if anyone has a spare.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Screen wash bottle

Post by Micron » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:40 pm

If you fill it up, do the washers work a little, a lot, or not at all?

If you are able to remove the OSF wheel arch you can get to the washer bottle. You may need to remove the pump to try and clean it, sometimes they do go faulty.
I wold say that they work by making a contact when the water gets low, so strapping it across would make it worse?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

colinrush

Post by colinrush » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:51 pm

As mentioned it works fine. Just have the low water level permanently on. Am thinking the sensor has stuck in closed position. Assuming light out would be open circuit, considering cutting the cable so light goes out for mot and will then replace the bottle

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:54 pm

If the washers work, the worse they could do is give you an advisory about it, in theory, it's just showing low.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

andy p

Post by andy p » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:03 pm

Have you checked the rear washer bottle?
If you can't find the fault I have two spares.
Andy P

paulp

Post by paulp » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 pm

I had this, & as said, removed the drivers side wheel & wheel arch, then you can get the bottle out, the actual sensor is in a tube & had got a load of gung in it from 26 yrs of use no doubt, took it apart & cleaned, also gave the bottle a real good clean whilst out, put it all back together & hey ho, no more warning light for over a year now. Its a real easy job to be honest