Lazy rev counter

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Mondeo55

Re: Lazy rev counter

Post by Mondeo55 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:45 pm

Kit wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:30 pm
Fronts are handed
Rears not

Kit
Thanks Duncan! I’m gonna pay my local factors a visit tomorrow see if I can suss out why one seller says one particular KYB set will fit and another says they won’t. Hopefully I’ll have some definitive answers. Who’d have thought buying some shocks would be so difficult eh? 🤷‍♂️

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:58 pm

Several hours later, on invoices at least, I seem to have it all covered off and my bank balance is much much lighter after this evenings shopping list.

Trying to get a matching pair of anything has been an absolute ball ache, I’m not sure it makes a difference but didn’t want say a Triscan top mount on the left and a Maxgear on the right hence the time taken to source everything.

Many of the big names in suspension components seem to be discontinuing parts for the Probe, Monroe, KYB etc all showing as discontinued and availability of new old stock very limited so I had to go with some brands I’m not familiar with from around the world though some quick research suggested they’re reputable enough, will soon find out I’m sure! 🤷‍♂️

At the rear;

Magnum Technology (Ukrainian) struts, Triscan (Danish) top mounts.

At the Front;

Maxgear (Polish) struts & top mounts

Sourced and ordered an ignition coil as well to see if it sorts the rev counter problems. I’m also hoping that given the springs are all new, once all the new parts go on it’ll feel a little better, the mechanic at the garage said he thinks most of the suspension is original and could be 27 or so years old.

One small but deep pothole has caused quite some disruption and expense! Keep ya fingers crossed for me & TUJ!

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:54 am

Got a pair of new QH rear struts top mounts here :)
Make me an offer ;)

Kit

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:19 pm

Kit wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:54 am
Got a pair of new QH rear struts top mounts here :)
Make me an offer ;)

Kit
Awe noooo, I’d have had these off you in a heartbeat but too late to cancel the order on them as shipped already. Doh! They’re hard to come by so hang onto them incase! Thank you though very kind of you 👌🏼

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:34 pm

Just got the Probe home from the garage….

New top mounts & shocks all round and all the knocks, rattles and creaks have gone! The springs and stabiliser bars were replaced in April along with ARB’s, the drive and feel has totally transformed, the old shocks must have been really tired, I always felt the car was a bit soft for a coupe (especially compared to my Cougar) but the new shocks have sharpened it up no end and the grip and poise in the bends is far better.

There’s a lot of tyre roar at the moment as the alignment is way out following the work so I’m hoping once the wheels are aligned straight and the tyres not scrubbing that it’ll quieten right down.

On that note, what’s the recommended tyre pressure for the standard 16” rims?

Next job is the rev counter issue though it behaved all the way home today. Should have been done but Autodoc sent wrong part so awaiting a replacement. Picture; what I needed & ordered (top), what they sent (bottom).

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 pm

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:13 pm

Wasn’t far out…. 32 front, 30 rear.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:54 am

Mondeo55 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:13 pm
Wasn’t far out…. 32 front, 30 rear.
If loaded, I run with 28psi in the rears ;)

Kit

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:59 pm

Took the car for a longer run this evening try and settle it in following the suspension work/alignment and noticed that as the tachometer faded into the drive so too did the speedo reading, still getting smooth and responsive moment from both needles but the reading very clearly wrong. Yet work accurately when the car first starts up cold.

Got an ignition coil on its way as previously suggested, any thoughts given the problem seems to extend to the Speedo too?
Speed sensor perhaps? I’ve also seen a suggestion that the cruise control unit could cause issues. The cruise didn’t work on this car, never has since in my ownership.

Thanks in advance

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm

:idea: Earth fault to the dial :idea:

Kit