Inner CV boot 2.5 V6 Auto

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Bikergonebald

Inner CV boot 2.5 V6 Auto

Post by Bikergonebald » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:20 pm

Hi Guys,
I need some help finding the transmission end CV boots for my Mazda MX-6 2.5 V6 Auto.

Does anyone know a part that will fit?

My local parts place can't find any, i got a Mazda part number and bought an aftermarket parts that was listed as being suitable but it doesn't fit. The joint is a sliding tri-ball joint rather than a standard CV joint so the boot has to be shaped to fit around the joint.

I've spent ages searching options then looking for dimensions of those parts online but they are all slightly different and i can't find one that's long enough. It needs to be around 150mm long.

Thanks.
Kevin
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Inner CV boot 2.5 V6 Auto

Post by Kit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:54 am

This is what I have used for many years.
For both inner & outer CV joints

They’re reasonably priced, quick delivery, OK a bit thinner than an OME one, but more flexible.

Kit

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:14 am

I do have this in my stock of spares

It was with a car I purchased, the owner (a club member at the time), said it was supplied by a Motor Factor, for a for Probe, with a tripod CV inner joint.
It’s an FAI part, so you should be able to check.

Your’s if you want it £10 posted (you have nothing to lose)

Kit

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:57 pm

Hi Kit.
Thanks for the offer but i need(ed) two.

I did some searching again based on the part number of yours, it seems it fits a Toyota among other things. It certainly looks right in the picture although based on the dimensions i found for it it's not as long as i thought i needed.

Today i looked again at what i had bought and decided they might be long enough although the scalloped profile wasn't right to fit the tri-ball joint. So i spent a couple of hours very carefully re-shaping the profile with a dremmel and now one of the boots is fitted and air tight so it won't leak.

I do have a problem assembling the other shaft but i will start another post for that one.

Thanks.
Kevin
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.