Stalled at lights, engine light on, restarted, then stopped.

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
eric56m

Stalled at lights, engine light on, restarted, then stopped.

Post by eric56m » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 pm

16v 1995 Ford Probe.
Stopped at lights and engine stalled, engine light had flashed on, restarted ok and managed less than 100 yards and stalled again, managed to freewheel down sidestreet and get to reasonably safe spot, tried to start again, engine turning over but still non starter, with engine light on. Rang recovery and while waiting ( 1hour 45 mins as opposed to the estimate of an hour) tried again, started and was able to move a matter of yards to safer spot and it died again.Green flag came and recovered me home. I thought they offered assistance rather than just recovery, having only just joined them two weeks ago. I'm wondering if anyone could, please, advise me if there is anything I can try myself before calling the garage out. Didn't quite realise how heavy these cars are to push/steer with never having to do it before. To add injury to injury, I've pulled a muscle in my leg whilst attempting to push on my own ( silly boy ) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Stalled at lights, engine light on, restarted, then stopped.

Post by Micron » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:19 am

Hi Eric,
Does the car still have the immobiliser fitted, as in you have to push the button on the fob before starting it?
I believe that it may be the distributer that has failed, but intermittently, I had the same thing. If you have one, or can get the right one I would change that?

Trev
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

eric56m

Post by eric56m » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Trev, thank you for your reply, the car doesn't still have the immobiliser fitted, just a plain key, ( it was previously Ickles car ) I'm going to have a look shortly, when I've administered a further dollop of Ibuprofen gel on my very swollen leg.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:31 pm

eric56m wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:12 am
Hi Trev, thank you for your reply, the car doesn't still have the immobiliser fitted, just a plain key, ( it was previously Ickles car ) I'm going to have a look shortly, when I've administered a further dollop of Ibuprofen gel on my very swollen leg.
It does seem to point towards the Dizzy, or lack of fuel, there could be a bit of a block?

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:40 pm

Look at the wiring on the moby bypass as may have a loose wire,would that be a
16v Red one ecr :?:

eric56m

Post by eric56m » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:50 pm

Yes 16v ecr ( the little beauty I purchased from Ickle )
With my limited, almost non-existant knowledge, would I be able to check the loose wire possibility myself, as well as trying to find a distributor for now or as a spare? Thank you.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 pm

eric56m wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:50 pm
Yes 16v ecr ( the little beauty I purchased from Ickle )
With my limited, almost non-existant knowledge, would I be able to check the loose wire possibility myself, as well as trying to find a distributor for now or as a spare? Thank you.
yes, you should be able, although getting to the wires for the immobiliser can be tricky, because they are behind the centre console, under the dash at carpet level. have a look at this write up to give you a clue to what you are looking for. https://www.ukpoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=506

as for the dizzy, best thing to do to start with is look for the number on the side of the dizzy, if it did have a immobiliser, then i guess your's is an early dizzy? I have one, but not sure if it's an early or late one?

Also look at this post to help you determine if yours is early or late https://www.ukpoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3220

eric56m

Post by eric56m » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:57 pm

Looking at the guide it's an early one.Checked the numbers and it's DRD 5060 T6T 57871 (FSO 1)
Will try and check the wires tomorrow, if my legs any better. Thanks again.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:58 pm

eric56m wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:57 pm
Looking at the guide it's an early one.Checked the numbers and it's DRD 5060 T6T 57871 (FSO 1)
Will try and check the wires tomorrow, if my legs any better. Thanks again.
Have you got a picture?

eric56m

Post by eric56m » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:09 pm

I have, but just figuring out how to post it.