Unable To Remove Spark Plugs

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: Unable To Remove Spark Plugs

Post by Sunfly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 pm

jrh wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:26 pm
Seems like the rubber cap has stuck itself to the inside of the tube.
You're just faced with the task of trying to run a long narrow chisel ended 'screwdriver ' down the tube, to cut the ring off the side of the tube.
You might think about an electricians hole cutter, but were it me, Id get a length of tube a little less in O/D than the hole and cut a single tooth on it to try and cut your way down the rubber. An airline might be handy to blow the particles out. Reason for just one tooth is to stop clogging. 316 stainless tube would be a good choice and if you measure the hole and let me know what it is, I might have some. If you've not got the means to drill (for a tommy bar) and saw (for the tooth) give me an idea of the length of tube you could get in the space and I'll make you up something.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:54 pm

What a pain of a problem. But I've sorted it. A mixture of wearing my specs, a bright torch, a sharp screwdriver, extra long tweezers , WD40, spark plug socket , hammer and around 2 hours of my life to remove 4 out of 6 plugs.
New plugs and replacement leads in.
I never want that problem again. I've removed the rubber suction cups from the replacement leads , they don't make any difference to the fitting or running anyway, I'd recommend that you remove yours now before you do as I did and pull the HT leads off and leave the rubber suction cups all the way down in the spark plug well. Horrid job and back breaking on the rears.
On with the next issue over this weekend....

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 pm

Couldn't remember the spark plug gap so set them at .95. ?