engine cut out

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: engine cut out

Post by Sunfly » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:09 pm

I've had this problem, and though I blame the distributor for absolutely everything including punctures, I don't think that's your problem this time!

If you've still got the Bosch immobiliser, I think you've got a dry joint on the pcb because that's what caused my exact same problem. Here's the story.

I had a 94 2.0ltr 16v for 14 years and about 10 years after I bought it, your problem started happening. Scary stuff. It was running when it was running but would cut out unpredictably and sometimes would not restart for a half hour or so then it was OK.

One day a chap came to my work and spotted the Probe. Do you get any probs, he asks? Yes the bloody distributor every 30k and at the moment, erratic and unpredictable cutting out. I know what that is, he says, that's a dry joint in your immobiliser circuit.

To cut a long story short, this absolute gentleman, who was an electronics engineer, come in the following day with his soldering station, takes out the pcb, goes all over it with his soldering iron and puts it back in the car. I start it up and it never ever gave a problem again (another 4 years). He wouldn't take a penny for it, he just wanted to help me out as I had one of his favourite cars! There walks a gentleman.

Take the immobiliser pcb out and carefully go over all the joints or get it looked at by an electronics man and good luck to you but I'd put money on it that that's your problem. If you do it yourself wear an earth strap.

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 am

Absolutely Bob, and those tiny ignition circuit relay contacts are not big enough for the job after a few years SO you have to either jam that relay on, all the time with a matchstick OR short that circuit permanently.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:40 pm

jrh wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 am
Absolutely Bob, and those tiny ignition circuit relay contacts are not big enough for the job after a few years SO you have to either jam that relay on, all the time with a matchstick OR short that circuit permanently.
Or remove the immobiliser module completely, after all, it’s only 3 wires , that needs to be joined together.

Kit

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:22 am

Kit wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:40 pm
jrh wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 am
Or remove the immobiliser module completely, after all, it’s only 3 wires , that needs to be joined together.

Kit
Good plan! My wife assures me that no one is going to steal a Ford Probe. Divorce papers are in!

peterb1126

Post by peterb1126 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:11 pm

thanks to all for the advice... have made a note and will talk to the Garage / MOT Station ... :) Lets hope we can solve this ... would be nice to use a car after two yrs of frustration !