Brake upgrade

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
paulp

Brake upgrade

Post by paulp » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Having found the probes brakes rather lacking i've been browsing the internet to see if any upgrades available. There's a company called DC Performance that do several upgrades for front & rear & was just wondering if anybody had had any dealings with them or any other comments on brake upgrade ?, also as most of the braking goes through the front do you think it would be necessary to even bother with the rears ?

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by Micron » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:52 pm

I haven’t had any dealings myself, but I guess it all depends on how much you are prepared to pay to get better brakes.
It might be that you just need to change your disks, pads and brake fluid?

Some have tried Mazda6 complete brakes, but with mixed reviews.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:25 am

Hmmm, if your ABS is preventing the wheels from locking up surely that's as good as you can get without going down the whole design route, of
Tyres ,shockers , discs , etc ?

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:01 pm

With rears, it’s the hand brake arrangement, that’s a bit harder to sort out.
One solution is to use late Mazda 626 carriers, callipers.
The pads are different, so you need the carrier.

The Ex member Numnuts, (who has now left the ‘Probe community’), had four pot Bambo brakes on his car, needing 18” wheels to get the clearance.

Wheel are sometimes else, that needs considering. Stock 16” wheels can limit choice

Kit

paulp

Post by paulp » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:33 pm

I'm not sure there would be much benefit from changing the rears as most of the braking goes through the front anyway, so has anyone 1st hand experience of fitting & using the front brakes off the mazda & will they fit straight on with the standard 16" wheels, as i don't want to change them.

paulp

Post by paulp » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:36 pm

Micron wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:52 pm
I haven’t had any dealings myself, but I guess it all depends on how much you are prepared to pay to get better brakes.
It might be that you just need to change your disks, pads and brake fluid?

Some have tried Mazda6 complete brakes, but with mixed reviews.
Brake fluid has been changed, discs look ok, no idea how old the pads are, probably at least 15yrs, do they harden if not used as the car stood for 5 yrs ?

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:42 pm

The pads may glaze over as they say. Also you say found the brakes lacking, what are you comparing them with, are you comparing eggs for eggs, in that the cars are similar, such as single sided piston.

You could also check your flexible hoses, because if they expand when you press the pedal you will loose brake force, maybe you could change the flexi hoses and service or replace the callipers
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

paulp

Post by paulp » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:22 pm

So whats the general opinion of the probes brakes, do you think there good, acceptable or not very good ?, i know at least one member who doesn't think much to his brakes. I realise the car is 25 yrs old, but compared to my 2014 transit connect i have to say there very poor, i'd hate to have to do an emergency stop if a child ran into the road.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:47 pm

Change the hoses,new fluid + ensure the calipers are working like they should.
I’m sure you’re feel an improvement ;)

Kit