Immobiliser

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: Immobiliser

Post by cpt black » Sun May 08, 2022 10:51 am

Sounds like your on top of it Simon,also give the main earth and fuse a good clean
Kev

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun May 08, 2022 11:36 am

Do you have a proper set of electrical circuit diagrams or are you just using the Owners Handbook to guess the components at fault ?

simps

Post by simps » Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 pm

Just the Haynes and a dose of swap it and see, I’m lucky to have a parts car kicking about
jrh wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:36 am
Do you have a proper set of electrical circuit diagrams or are you just using the Owners Handbook to guess the components at fault ?

jrh

Post by jrh » Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Ah , I see.
First step.
Does the starter motor work ?
If it does , then the key to immobiliser components are working.
Yes/ No ?

simps

Post by simps » Sun May 08, 2022 10:11 pm

Yes

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun May 08, 2022 10:46 pm

simps wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:11 pm
Yes
Have you eliminated the cps yet. That is the most common reason for a non start. Was it running ok before this problem came along. A faulty cps will allow an engine to keep running but not restart.
My understanding is that the temic is highly reliable (unlike the cps circuit).

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 am

As Sunfly , if the starter motor turns then it is most UNLIKELY there is anything wrong with the Temic or Immobiliser unit.
So , it is either that cps connection OR the distributor.

Just be very careful NOT to have any spark plug unconnected to earth when you check for a spark.
Open circuits in the HT system will kill transistors down the line before you know it.

Somehow , you must have total confidence in knowing that the distributor works.
It is not enough to 'think' that because it is new it will work , that is just luck.
Then , when it is all up and running , get ANOTHER distributor( checked out of course ) to travel in the boot with the few tools you need to change it
anywhere en-route.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon May 09, 2022 1:35 pm

jrh wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 am
As Sunfly , if the starter motor turns then it is most UNLIKELY there is anything wrong with the Temic or Immobiliser unit.
So , it is either that cps connection OR the distributor.

Just be very careful NOT to have any spark plug unconnected to earth when you check for a spark.
Open circuits in the HT system will kill transistors down the line before you know it.

Somehow , you must have total confidence in knowing that the distributor works.
It is not enough to 'think' that because it is new it will work , that is just luck.
Then , when it is all up and running , get ANOTHER distributor( checked out of course ) to travel in the boot with the few tools you need to change it
anywhere en-route.
Its not often Johns wrong so heed the gypsies warning! Take a look at the crank position sensor, its wiring and in line connectors. Jump in haste - repent at leisure :oops:

simps

Post by simps » Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm

I swapped the dizzy with a known working item with no joy, cleaned all the connectors again nothing.

What I did notice (eventually) is that when I switched on there's a double relay click, that wasn't happening at all, trial by substitution revealed the black IGN relay to not be working, now whether that's a faulty relay or something else remains to be seen, but there was no evidence of it being swapped out previously.

At least it's running for now, I'll swap the clocks for a 24v set and send it for MOT and see what happens

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 pm

If it is running that is good news .
A bit odd that the IGN relay didn't work , they are normally never fail items....................
Main thing is , you solved it, well done.