Steering play

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Donner1

Steering play

Post by Donner1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi everyone. My 24v seems to wander a bit and excessive movement at the steering wheel. I can't see any play in the trackrod ends so persume rack or inner track rods have play.
Is this a known problem and any issues replacing inner rods.
Once again Tia.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Steering play

Post by mojo98 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

I`ve not had any experience with that, and never had to change the inner rods,
I know it may be a stupid question, but are your tyre pressures ok (fronts 32psig)

Donner1

Post by Donner1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I'll will check the pressures. When the car is stationary I can wobble rhe steering wheel with a fair bit of movement without the wheels moving. I think I like to find jobs to do 😀

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Definitely check the tyre pressures and don't mix tyres of different makes and tread pattern, then I'd start looking at lower wishbone and track rod bushes and ends.

When I picked up the flying machine from Manchester, I wanted to go to Gloucester and it wanted to go to Liverpool... through the central reservation. I had to fix all the above plus two steering oil changes to get the steering right. After that, I guess it might be worth checking the coupling between steering column and rack.