A/C compressor clutch bearing

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
CLTXY00

A/C compressor clutch bearing

Post by CLTXY00 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 pm

Has anyone changed the air conditioning compressor clutch bearing in the belt pulley. My A/C compressor clutch is working ok but the pulley bearing is developing a screech. Any information much appreciated. (Probe 1997 V6)

Micron
Site Admin

Re: A/C compressor clutch bearing

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 pm

Are you sure it’s the pulley and not just the belt? I believe that if they become shiny they can cause that sort of noise.

As for changing it, it’s not something I have done myself.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:28 pm

I agree Trevor, check the belt, may need a new one, as for the pulley bearing easy to change, knock it out with a socket (or get it pressed out) again knock tin new one in with a socket.

CLTXY00

Post by CLTXY00 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:31 am

I did replace the belts 2 years ago with quality ACDELCO belts and have not done much mileage since so I didn't suspect the belt but you make a very good point of checking this first.

I will get the belt off for further inspection and possibly change it out anyway whilst checking the pulley as well.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:12 am

CLTXY00 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:31 am
I did replace the belts 2 years ago with quality ACDELCO belts and have not done much mileage since so I didn't suspect the belt but you make a very good point of checking this first.

I will get the belt off for further inspection and possibly change it out anyway whilst checking the pulley as well.
once the belt is off, you could give it a spin with your hand, to see if it sounds noisy? or for piece of mind, just get it changed?

It might even be that the belt needs adjusting.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎