Soaked head lining….help!

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Mondeo55

Soaked head lining….help!

Post by Mondeo55 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Hi all, not used the probe in over a week but moved it today and discovered that the headlining of the car is soaked! Mainly left side front and rear. Not had this problem before so I’m thinking it may be related to the sunroof post paint job….maybe dust has clogged the drain holes?

The sunroof doesn’t work nor does it sit that snug but I was of the impression the water that gets through drains out the drain lines anyway 🤔

1995 Probe 24v with grey leather interior

Any advise would be appreciated

cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: Soaked head lining….help!

Post by cpt black » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:34 pm

Sounds like the drain holes are blocked get some cable and and push down the drain holes
or the sunroof seal is knackered and letting in to much water

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks for the tips….I’m guessing I’ll need to lift the panel out to push through the drain tubing?

I also think the sunroof seal is a problem, though the poor way it sits rather than the seal itself. The front is raised, the rear dropped. If this is the case, what’s the best way to remedy this? A new sunroof mech?

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:03 pm

no need to take sunroof off as you can pock wires down the holes.As to adjust the sunroof
you need to drop the head linning to get to the adjuster screws 1x each corner

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:17 pm

Take the A pillar moulding off, & the sun vision

You can then get to the end of the plastic tube where there connected to the Sun roof pan

C puller moulding for the back drain tubes

Kit

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:51 pm

Thank both, great source of advice yet again. It’s sealed up with tape for now and there’s a heater and humongous dehumidifier sat in it drying it out for a few hours!

A job to add to the list!

jrh

Post by jrh » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:03 pm

Another way, search for the drain pipes as they appear out under the wheel arch, you will have to remove wheel arch covers.
BLOW air back up the pipes to check they are clear,

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:50 pm

UPDATE;

having temporarily sealed up the sunroof yesterday and getting the car bone dry, I’ve gone in to check today and it’s wet again!

It’s the left hand side at the front that’s sodden. I’ve partially pulled down the headlining and can see that all the sunroof drain pipes are connected as they should be but I’m yet to check if they’re clear. Saying that, water wouldn’t have gotten through the sunroof panel last night so I’m not convinced it’s that.

Dropping the lining at the rear, water is getting in through the wiring grommets under the hatch and possibly the hinges all of which were removed for the repaint. I think water is tracking down some of the roof channeling and running off in various directions though how plausible this is I’m yet to find out. I also had a pool of water on the plastic side shelf at the rear on both sides which is clearly tracking from higher up.

For now, I’ve taped the hatch to stop water travelling to that area to see if anything changes.

Having not fully dropped the headlining, can anyone confirm if the fasteners for the guttering penetrate the roof as if these have been removed for the repaint, they could be letting in water….

And lastly….how on earth do you remove the coat hooks and the B pillar trim? Is it just brute force?

Thanks all

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:43 pm

You may have to do you own testing, either with a watering can or hose?
Was the windscreen and side windows removed for the repaint, if they were, did they get sealed correctly?
I believe that the B pillars come out at the top and then up, as for the coat hooks, good luck! I think that you need to try a screwdriver or flat removal tool to push in the metal clip. Who took them out originally, did they brake then?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Mondeo55

Post by Mondeo55 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:49 pm

I’ll let it sit for a bit in the rain with taped up hatch see if it gets any worse in tonight’s rain.

Yes a glass was professionally removed and refitted, I can see around the glass where I’ve dropped some the roof lining and trim and that looks to be water tight 🤞🏻.

The car didn’t leak in this area prior to the repaint so it’s likely linked to something removed and not reseated 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Ref my earlier question about the guttering, looking at the pictures of the car during strip down, it doesn’t look like there are any trim clip holes so that ‘should’ put that theory to bed.

The hooks haven’t been removed previously, the headlining hadd hasn’t been removed or at least not by me or the paint shop