Bad news at the pump

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
jrh

Re: Bad news at the pump

Post by jrh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:45 am

Ever tried nailing jelly to a tree ?

fanman

Post by fanman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm

jrh wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:45 am
Ever tried nailing jelly to a tree ?
Just once, didn't work - I think I used the wrong nails! :lol:

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Well I'm in awe of all the knowledge that is in our small club about ethanol and jelly. Now I know what the "E" in E5 stands for, I shall buy the fuel with E5 on it come what may. No way will I be following the government advice, assurance, etc, etc. However, I'm pleased we are all now aware.

Remember when diesels were good for the environment and we were all encouraged to buy diesel. Then suddenly it wasn't, because they found harmful contaminant's! That was misinformation if ever there was one as scientists have been able to quantify the component parts of fuel for years. In the merchant Navy and I'm sure industries like aviation got an extensive lab analysis of every batch of fuel delivered and even then, every bunker got a sample sent off to the lab just in case you needed to make an insurance claim.

They tell you what is politically expedient, do politicians.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm
Well I'm in awe of all the knowledge that is in our small club about ethanol and jelly. Now I know what the "E" in E5 stands for, I shall buy the fuel with E5 on it come what may. No way will I be following the government advice, assurance, etc, etc. However, I'm pleased we are all now aware.

Remember when diesels were good for the environment and we were all encouraged to buy diesel. Then suddenly it wasn't, because they found harmful contaminant's! That was misinformation if ever there was one as scientists have been able to quantify the component parts of fuel for years. In the merchant Navy and I'm sure industries like aviation got an extensive lab analysis of every batch of fuel delivered and even then, every bunker got a sample sent off to the lab just in case you needed to make an insurance claim.

They tell you what is politically expedient, do politicians.
Diesel isn't bad in respect of lowering emissions of C02 - you get many more miles per gallon with an oil burner than a petrol car. it's just the NOx particles are bad for people - particularly in cities. In the same way that we ditched lead in fuel for the same reasons. Veg oil diesels could have been the way forward if we didn't all have to eat!

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:08 pm

If you REALLY want to know what future the State has planned for us , read the report on UKFIRES.ORG.
It is THE official State website , so no problem with viruses ,etc.
You might want a stiff drink close at hand , be warned.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:54 pm

jrh wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:08 pm
If you REALLY want to know what future the State has planned for us , read the report on UKFIRES.ORG.
It is THE official State website , so no problem with viruses ,etc.
You might want a stiff drink close at hand , be warned.
John, I have read your suggestion on the UK fires site (Absolute zero report) and I can see where the logic is in everything they are saying but what a joyless place earth will be. I think we have to do something, but leave us some quality of life for Gods sake. No cows = no burgers! The other thing about going vegi (essentially the report was written by a cycling vegetarian, with no friends, no hobbies and a flying phobia), but I think his/her plan would backfire on their health. Just recently, there's been adverts on the tele for the "Vegetarian Butcher" Great stuff! Courgettes and marrows that taste and smell like burgers and have the same texture too - absolutely wonderful, lets get rid of all the cows. Only thing that worries me is what makes the marrow taste like a burger! Something tells me it will be chemicals! And they are not always good for you! They might even be more harmful than a herd of farting cows for all I know - probably are, because everyone these days seems to have an allergy to this or that.

Reading it, I thought there might be a simpler solution which is not about cutting out what we enjoy, but limiting the world population. First of all I thought about a cull like with badgers etc, but that might upset certain sections of the population, but perhaps by contraception of incentives to keep to two kids or less. My mum and dad had seven kids. We are all very handsome and intelligent, but was it really necessary? Perhaps then, as dad needed kids to help him with the business, (I had to scrub the shop floor every Sunday and stock the shelves for pittance pocket-money) but not now!