Bad news at the pump

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Bad news at the pump

Post by Sunfly » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:02 am

I was reading in the paper that petrol is to change its spec this summer. The regular petrol, 95 octane designated E5 (whatever that means) is to be upgraded to E10, (whatever that means). The upshot is that cars more than about 15 years old will potentially be damaged by the new E10 fuel. The current premium fuel will however, stay E5 and will be OK, but as we know, will be 11 or so pence dearer per litre.

I'm not too bothered about that as I always put premium in the Flying Machine anyway, as (I tell myself) it is better for the injection system, however, I wouldn't want to be spending that kind of money on a daily runner.

Another nail in the coffin of the classic car. First it was road tax, now this, and just you wait. It will be town centres next followed by petrol stations as rare as hens teeth as we all go electric.

Anyone want to buy a nice Probe?

jrh

Re: Bad news at the pump

Post by jrh » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:48 am

Put simply , ethanol is bad, bad, bad but for the green brigade it is classed as 'renewable'.
Having wrecked older engines with E5 , the 'Coup-de-grace' comes with a double dose , E10.
That's twice as much water as before .
Never mind that it is produced from barley, wheat, etc,, highly subsidised, that we , or animals, would otherwise eat .
Madness.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:31 pm

Someone posted this in the American Cars UK group on facebook. The majority of American Cars can run on E10 anyway and as someone said if you are running a car with 40 year fuel lines you're inviting trouble anyway :o

A quick google found out the the USA introduced E10 back in 1990 so hopefully our cars are fine running it.

brookie66J

Post by brookie66J » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 pm

From what I've read the problem with E10 petrol is its destructive effect on the fuel lines and it goes off more quickly than current fuels so leaving our cars stood with it in will gum the lines up and make them harder to start, solution , keep using them and watch the rubber parts of the lines.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:30 am

Well I've learnt a lot. Lets hope Andy is right, I'm sure he is.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:41 am

The government web site states that any Ford* from 1992 onwards with the exception of one particular Sierra are ok, however if you then search for Mazda, I think that says 2002 onwards???

* officially imported in to the country
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm

For the purists , it is easy enough to remove this muck from the petrol but it does make fuel a shade expensive having to throw 10% by volume away every time.

humph

Post by humph » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Ethanol attracts water, this is the big problem, thought our plastic tanks will be fine. The fact ethanol combines with water is one way to remove it, add water and float off the water ethanol mix, practice for motorbikes, but not cars.

Premium fuel will be staying at E5, though at the moment it is zero to E5. Esso is the only zero ethanol fuel at the moment. So more tax revenue for the government.

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:35 pm

Unless you live in an area growing sugar-cane, the whole 'green' ethanol addition is just a scam.
More fuel is used in creating ethanol from barley , by ploughing, sowing,harvesting, refining , delivering, than what you produce at the end.
Lots of nice subsidies though to collect in the process.

fanman

Post by fanman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:26 am

Micron wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:41 am
The government web site states that any Ford* from 1992 onwards with the exception of one particular Sierra are ok, however if you then search for Mazda, I think that says 2002 onwards???

* officially imported in to the country
So I guess we run our cars based on the government website advice for Fords - detroy them as a result , and then claim compensation because of the incorrect information on their site :?: :?: :roll: