A battery that fits properly please!

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: A battery that fits properly please!

Post by Sunfly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:42 am

beegee wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:35 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:37 am
Groves batteries in Cheltenham.

Groves Batteries Ltd.
Park Mews Works, Lypiatt Street,
Cheltenham, GL50 2UB

He told me what battery was in the car BEFORE I lifted the bonnet.
I had exactly the same experience with them a few years ago,
They certainly know there stuff :)
Quite so!
Where are you then, that you were using Groves? Is it Stroud and if so did you stop me one evening on the hill towards Rodbrough? I was taking my wife to a fancy dress party and she looked a right state!

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:23 am
There was nothing showing they were out of stock so hopefully that supply issue has been resolved.
I spoke too soon. Tanya have got in touch to say that this is out of stock long-term. They are suggesting the Yuasa 3111 as an alternative but they won’t be in stock either for another 3 weeks.

Might end up with a dodgy bonnet at this rate!
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 pm

try one of the other companies suggested?

they should be able to cross reference codes and show you a picture?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi Eddie.

I phoned Groves for you.

The battery you want is a Yuasa Triple 1 which is the unique UK number for the correct battery.

It is in stock and costs £73.50

you can collect (and have it fitted if you want )or there will be a £10 delivery charge to send to you.

I didn't know your year or engine size but he said they were all the same anyway so you'll be OK.

Tel No is 01242 514940

Hope that helps.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm
I phoned Groves for you.
Thank you so much!
I have spent a while trying to get in touch with them, and hadn’t realised you’d called them for me until I came back to report my progress. Thank you though - really appreciated.

In the end, I managed to get the only one they have in stock and it’s cost me £73.50 + £14 delivery. Not sure why the delivery is more than you were quoted but it’s not really worth the drama if I can get it back on the road. Hopefully it will turn up on Wednesday :)
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:52 pm

It’s worth mentioning though - nowhere else seems to have any stock which could be a nightmare for us all if it turns into a long-term issue.
It would be a shame if we all have to modify the tray to sit the battery lower in the car.
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:52 pm
It’s worth mentioning though - nowhere else seems to have any stock which could be a nightmare for us all if it turns into a long-term issue.
It would be a shame if we all have to modify the tray to sit the battery lower in the car.
He told me its uncommon but do not fret :D . He said they only ever keep one in stock and that probably applies to a lot of low volume batteries but he will replace it.

These are not Mickey mouse people, they really do know what they are about. We sell an imported trike that has a high voltage battery fitted that is £700 to replace. :o Yes its true! I was talking to a Cheltenham customer last week who has that machine and rather than pay that sort of money, he took it to Groves. They opened it up and said, oh yes the cells are a standard La, La, La, leave it with us and we'll change them for you. £240!

The extra £4 might have something to do with where you live. Its a hazardous carriage so it might be subject to distance premium. Given the weight which is a deciding factor with carriage your still doing OK for delivery of a battery!

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I thought I’d come back to leave a conclusion for future reference as this appears to be getting more difficult as the years go by.

The battery that appears to be easiest(!) to source is the Yuasa YBX3111. I can confirm that this fits properly.

Cost to me in June 2021 was £73.50 +£14.00 delivery (Inc VAT).

I sourced it from Groves Batteries but please note - this battery does not currently appear on their web site. You will most likely need to call them and order over the phone. It was sent well packaged via UPS next business day delivery. They are, as previously mentioned, aware of the Ford Probe and it’s need for a low profile battery.

Groves Batteries Ltd
Park Mews Works
Lypiatt Street
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL50 2UB

Tel: 01242 514940

Thanks again to those who helped.

Eddie.
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V

beegee

Post by beegee » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:42 am
beegee wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:35 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:37 am
Groves batteries in Cheltenham.

Groves Batteries Ltd.
Park Mews Works, Lypiatt Street,
Cheltenham, GL50 2UB

He told me what battery was in the car BEFORE I lifted the bonnet.
I had exactly the same experience with them a few years ago,
They certainly know there stuff :)
Quite so!
Where are you then, that you were using Groves? Is it Stroud and if so did you stop me one evening on the hill towards Rodbrough? I was taking my wife to a fancy dress party and she looked a right state!
I live in cheltenham and when i needed to replace my battery i went to halfords where it wouldn't fit properly so i went to groves explained i needed a new battery for a ford probe and he instantly said you can't get the bonnet down :) They had 1 in stock charged it up over the rest of the day i had it fitted after work by them job done. I have been to rodborough common many times for work but not in my probe so it wasn't me :lol:

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 pm

Eddie wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am
Thank you everyone for your help with this. I thought I’d come back to leave a conclusion for future reference as this appears to be getting more difficult as the years go by.

The battery that appears to be easiest(!) to source is the Yuasa YBX3111. I can confirm that this fits properly.

Cost to me in June 2021 was £73.50 +£14.00 delivery (Inc VAT).

I sourced it from Groves Batteries but please note - this battery does not currently appear on their web site. You will most likely need to call them and order over the phone. It was sent well packaged via UPS next business day delivery. They are, as previously mentioned, aware of the Ford Probe and it’s need for a low profile battery.

Groves Batteries Ltd
Park Mews Works
Lypiatt Street
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL50 2UB

Tel: 01242 514940

Thanks again to those who helped.

Eddie.
Could this very useful information be placed in the oracle?