VRIS-2 / TPS setting

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Eddie

VRIS-2 / TPS setting

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:34 am

Hi all,

Many moons ago, my 24V hardly ever activated the VRIS-2 solenoid. At a club meet, Eugene adjusted my throttle position sensor and it worked flawlessly from then on.

My car has been sat unused for ages, and yesterday I took it out for a short test run. I may be wrong, but I don’t think VRIS-2 kicked in when it should do at 4250rpm.

I seem to remember turning the ignition key half way between positions 1 and 2 makes the cooling fan come on, and the the TPS should be moved. Moving it one direction turns the fan on, and the other turns it off. Am I right in remembering to move the TPS until the fan just starts?
This is a good 15 years ago or more, so I may have remembered all this completely wrong!

Eddie
Last edited by Eddie on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V

Micron
Site Admin

Re: VRIS-2 / TPS setting

Post by Micron » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:50 am

Hi Eddie,

have a look here
http://www.ukpoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=328

As for a quick test of your VRIS, have you tried the paper test, a small piece of paper about an inch in size placed behind the VRIS butterfly wing.
No1 should open on start up and as you say No2 at 4250RPM
You could try before and after adjustments?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Eddie

Re: VRIS-2 / TPS setting

Post by Eddie » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:59 am

Ah, ok - I’d forgotten the 10 & Ground thing!
I think the adjustment at the club meet might have been a guestimate - I don’t remember feeler gauges being involved lol.
I remember the paper test though - I also rigged up some LED’s that I could see through the windscreen to tell me what ‘should’ be happening under the bonnet.

I’ll have a look at some point. The MOT is probably a bit more important at this stage!
Eddie
1997 Timberline 24V