Couple of issues

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Couple of issues

Post by mojo98 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Micron wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm
Malcolm if you have a meter, you could take a battery voltage reading before doing anything, then take another once you turn on the lights or indicator to see if there is any significant changes, pointing towards a short?
Don't have a meter, will have to make a purchase

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 pm

When you turn on the lights and the engine stops do you notice anything else, anything at all?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 pm

Micron wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:16 pm
When you turn on the lights and the engine stops do you notice anything else, anything at all?
Yes the main beam (blue) on the dash lights up

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am

You really need to narrow the search down by isolating blocks of circuit .
Look at that wiring diagram book , section 32 , you will see various plugs that allow you to do this.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:50 pm

jrh wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am
You really need to narrow the search down by isolating blocks of circuit .
Look at that wiring diagram book , section 32 , you will see various plugs that allow you to do this.
Cheer's John, I'll get my book out

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm

I have been looking at those circuits and to try and NOT guess at what is taking the engine out is......................
Instinct keeps saying "It's the engine change to blame" , ie something has been damaged on the wiring loom, somewhere.
A lot of very careful visual examination seems a good start.
The REAL danger is a fault that feeds BACK into the ECU and overloads a circuit there.
If you can , I would try to isolate the power to the ECU on the output side of the ECU RELAY,
Then see if the relay that feeds the ECU is dropping out when the headlight switch is turned on.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:06 pm

jrh wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm
I have been looking at those circuits and to try and NOT guess at what is taking the engine out is......................
Instinct keeps saying "It's the engine change to blame" , ie something has been damaged on the wiring loom, somewhere.
A lot of very careful visual examination seems a good start.
The REAL danger is a fault that feeds BACK into the ECU and overloads a circuit there.
If you can , I would try to isolate the power to the ECU on the output side of the ECU RELAY,
Then see if the relay that feeds the ECU is dropping out when the headlight switch is turned on.
John, it only causes a problem when he turns on the lights or near side indicator, I believe that the engine runs fine, but it is strange that it should stop the engine!

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 am

That is the only helpful clue, a wire or circuit on those two switch positions is 'stopping' the engine.
So, it is either preventing a vital feedback from the running engine getting back into the ECU , or it is 'higher up the chain' and taking the ECU relay out
directly ?
And the headlamp isn't working properly.
All after a huge job of engine removal/replacement.
At least Malcolm's next Xmas present is sorted..................a multimeter.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

jrh wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 am
That is the only helpful clue, a wire or circuit on those two switch positions is 'stopping' the engine.
So, it is either preventing a vital feedback from the running engine getting back into the ECU , or it is 'higher up the chain' and taking the ECU relay out
directly ?
And the headlamp isn't working properly.
All after a huge job of engine removal/replacement.
At least Malcolm's next Xmas present is sorted..................a multimeter.
Not sure he can wait until Christmas :lol: :lol:

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 pm

With the suggestions for members and Paul (brookie66J) coming round this morning to help.
Problem seemed to be on the passenger side.
But first we check the earth points in the engine bay, removing them and cleaning before putting back on. Still no joy, so of with the wheels, inner linings then the front bumper,
With Paul standing by the engine and I operated the switches, Paul could hear nearly all the relays and even the solinod to the fuel rail chattering. So we checked the relays all ok, then we removed the fuse box and check the wiring all OK. But every time I turn the switch for the light, the side worked OK but put the headlights on no headlights but the passenger side indicator light came on. When we tried the indicators, only the passenger side wouldn't work.
So suspected a short in the wiring loom, so I started to look at stripping the passenger side wiring loom, but the while trying to follow the wire around the front on the car to the driving lamps, I stopped another earth connection near to the front air bag sensor,.
I had removed this earth connection while I had the engine out, I removed both radiators and cleaned all the rust off the metal work, then primed the metal before painting it with expensive rust proofing paint.
Paul had said that fitting the earth connection onto a painted area could course an issue, once the earth connection was removed and the paint was removed from the car and refitted the earth connection,
Hey pesto, everything working again,
so spent the afternoon putting all the parts we removed this morning back on
Thanks to everybody for suggestions and again big thanks to Paul