Rusty sunroof

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
M4rksc

Rusty sunroof

Post by M4rksc » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Hi everyone. Has anybody attempted to repair a probe sunroof? I can see its manufactured in two parts and then bonded together somehow. Has anybody managed to split the two parts so that the rust can be removed properly from between the two? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Incognito

Re: Rusty sunroof

Post by Incognito » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:34 pm

Probably best to source an alternative replacement , non standard .

fanman

Post by fanman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:33 pm

I have a really good spare here in teal - £40 plus postage if you would like it :-)

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 am

i tried a fibreglass roof. not a great success. lousy profile and so flexi it never closed properly, so i went back to my tin roof. ground out as much rust as possible with a die grinder then took it to a shot blasters. then i poured vactan marine rust remover everywhere. then i took it to the paint sshop. so far so good. i only ended up with two pinholes but dont fret if you had a bigger hole on the outside as they could patch or fill it. it was a lot of work but satisfying to have a pristine working sunroof again.

by the way. the cover and frame cant be seperated. and the shot blas process doesnt miss much. it will blow a hole where its really thin but like i said...

M4rksc

Post by M4rksc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Thats some good advice. I had completely forgot about shot blasting and I was pondering how to tackle it with a grinder :lol: My current tin roof isnt too bad but rust is often worse than it looks. I know a local shot blaster so ill have a chat with them and see what they can do.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:28 pm

M4rksc wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:08 pm
Thats some good advice. I had completely forgot about shot blasting and I was pondering how to tackle it with a grinder :lol: My current tin roof isnt too bad but rust is often worse than it looks. I know a local shot blaster so ill have a chat with them and see what they can do.
Right! Dont take me too literally with the shot blasting, they will more likely bead blast it but they will know what's best to do. To me, it looked perfectly clean after the blasting so the vactan (which I also copiously applied before the blasting), was precautionary. I didn't use it on the outside surfaces, just around the frame spot weld areas. Be warned that the bead blasting took the paint off the outside perfectly, but they thought there was a plastic or similar sub surface that the beads just bounced off. In my case they heated and scraped it off, but on reflection they said it might have been best to leave it alone once the paint was off so you might mention that to the blaster and see what is revealed.

Good luck.