Cooling fan problems

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
M4rksc

Cooling fan problems

Post by M4rksc » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Hello. Im looking for some advice from the community. I have a 1995(m reg) Ford probe 2.5 v6. Im experiencing a few problems with the cooling fans. Here's what happens. My LOW speed cooling fans dont switch on and therefore the temp creeps up until both HIGH speed fans come on and it sounds like a jumbo jet. On my other probe the low speed fan would come on regularly and keep the temps constant. So far I have replaced the engine temp sensor by the dipstick. When I unplug this sensor both fans come on full power. I have also tested each of the 2 fans directly with a 12 v battery and both speeds work as they should. Ive reached a dead end with the relays. I know it has them for the fans but dont know how many and which is for what. My haynes manual shows a total of 6 but I dont know if thats right or not. I have identified 2 relays which both click on when the 2 fans go on full speed. If anybody could shine some light on this I would be grateful. Thanks!

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Cooling fan problems

Post by mojo98 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 am

Forget your Haynes manual, it's OK for some things but can't believe everything in it.
There is access to electric diagrams in the Oracle, but believe you may have to be a full member to gain access to the Oracle (at a cost of £10 per year).

But in the mean time there is only 2 relays, low speed and high speed, and some fuses,

I would suspect that you may have a faulty low speed relay.

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:13 pm

One fan for engine , the other fan is for air conditioning system.
Each fan has two relays, one for low speed , the other for high speed.
There are TWO engine coolant sensors, one for temp gauge , one for the two low/high speed relays of both systems.
The relays are driven by predetermined settings in the ECU/PCM.
As Mojo wrote, throw the book of lies on the fire, join the club.

M4rksc

Post by M4rksc » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm

I have finally found the problem. It turns out I have a broken signal wire from the ECU to the low speed relay which is located behind the front bumper. I will trace it back as far as possible. If I cant find the break I will run a fresh wire over.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:25 pm

Well done :o

Kit