Defeated

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Dakota

Defeated

Post by Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm

So the decat turned up and been collecting new exhaust parts all month with gaskets , rubbers etc . Sunday morning sun so I thought right let's get this project started . Got the old boy who lives up stairs to watch me on the ramp , got the cardboard out the boots and got the tools out . The thought was two bolts after the down pipe as I'm replacing the lot in one go . So support was used on the old exhaust system with axle stands give it a good WD 40 had a cuppa set up the blue tooth speaker and waited . 17mm socket and spanner to hand got underway . First off I could see the first blow between the downpipe and cat and thought Brilliant the gaskets blown on brilliant news then I noticed the studs and nuts was a banana shape . Mmm someone has tightened that up well and thoughts were to try and compensate for the knackered gasket . Well no way could I move the bolts I even got the foot on the wrench still nothing not even 1mm movement more WD-40 and more tea thinking well there's hardly any rust under her but plenty of oil .cuppa drank went back to it and again no way could I get any movement on the nuts .
So looks like I have beat on the first job and now got to wait till payday mid September and try and find a garage that won't rip me off . All I can think is the nuts have been done with a air gun and I don't own one or even heat . Also I'm getting bloody old and being on HRT o simply don't have the muscle power anymore .
Simply put I'm annoyed at falling at the first .

Sunfly

Re: Defeated

Post by Sunfly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Can you get a nut splitter in there?

Dakota

Post by Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm
Very doubtful as all the brackets for the downpipe are in the way . Was thinking grinder but really doubt even with skinny cutting discs I would get that in.
Being a daily it's got to be done in a day and Sundays when I dont see my son are the only chance I get to break a nail and get dirty under a car 😂

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 pm

I had the same issue a few year ago, I couldn't remove the bolts from the down pipe the the cat, but I was luck that I could remove the back box from the middle pipe so after doing that I took the rest off in one (front down pipe cat and middle pipe) and then once off the car I managed to remove the bolts with yes a lot of work and a large breaker bay and a hack saw :D

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Dakota wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Very doubtful as all the brackets for the downpipe are in the way . Was thinking grinder but really doubt even with skinny cutting discs I would get that in.
Being a daily it's got to be done in a day and Sundays when I dont see my son are the only chance I get to break a nail and get dirty under a car 😂
If you can get a sharp chisel in there, not on the flats but on the face, a very heavy blow will increase the diameter and that will loosen the nut because of the thread flank angle. Advantage of this method is that it doesn't damage the stud. It also let's the lubricant in and the nut should come off with a socket with ease.

Dakota

Post by Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm
Dakota wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:14 pm
Sunfly wrote:
If you can get a sharp chisel in there, not on the flats but on the face, a very heavy blow will increase the diameter and that will loosen the nut because of the thread flank angle. Advantage of this method is that it doesn't damage the stud. It also let's the lubricant in and the nut should come off with a socket with ease.
Arr ok I see what you are saying I may be able to get a chisel in , I'm not bothered about the studs any way tbh as I bought a fitting kit and it seems that's come with old school nuts and bolts and spring washers .I might be free next Sunday for round 2 .

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Cut them off with a grinder :o

Quick & easy way

Kit

jmx6

Post by jmx6 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 pm

As I have a bad back I sometimes can’t get as much force as I used to so this was the nest £20 spent in recent years on tools:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... eaker-bar/

The only issue can sometimes be finding enough room to swing it, especially under the car.

Dakota

Post by Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 pm

mojo98 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 pm
I had the same issue a few year ago, I couldn't remove the bolts from the down pipe the the cat, but I was luck that I could remove the back box from the middle pipe so after doing that I took the rest off in one (front down pipe cat and middle pipe) and then once off the car I managed to remove the bolts with yes a lot of work and a large breaker bay and a hack saw :D

I think if I could get a big bar and machine mart it 3 mins from my front door . get it up higher I could do it but just dont seem to have the power in my arms any more . Was thinking of seeing of anyone highers I 4 poster ramps but if that's expensive I might as well take to the garage . Exhaust centre is full of youth and tried to tell me a stud had snapped off the down pipe to cat section lol he didn't believe me that it was only supposed to have 2 studs . Then tried to sell me a down pipe . I got the whole exhaust including decat from Germany for the price they wanted for a down pipe . 😂😂

Dakota

Post by Dakota » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:53 pm

jmx6 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 pm
As I have a bad back I sometimes can’t get as much force as I used to so this was the nest £20 spent in recent years on tools:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... eaker-bar/

The only issue can sometimes be finding enough room to swing it, especially under the car.
Yes that's the sort of think I need and machine mart is 3 mins away just don't think I have the bloody arm strength now tbh