Engine removal

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Mada

Engine removal

Post by Mada » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Good news, I've managed to find a v6 parts car near me that has been stored in a garage for 8 years. Gonna pull the engine from it and fit to the 2.0

Any tips for removing? Will be replacing belts, water pump, gaskets etc when engine is out.

I'm guessing I need engine, gearbox, wiring loom, ecu. Anything else? Are the drive shafts different?

Will post up pictures when I get the car at weekend

jrh

Re: Engine removal

Post by jrh » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Is the body of the car that bad ?

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Mada wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:59 pm
Good news, I've managed to find a v6 parts car near me that has been stored in a garage for 8 years. Gonna pull the engine from it and fit to the 2.0

Any tips for removing? Will be replacing belts, water pump, gaskets etc when engine is out.

I'm guessing I need engine, gearbox, wiring loom, ecu. Anything else? Are the drive shafts different?

Will post up pictures when I get the car at weekend
The drive shaft intermediate bearing housings are definitely different. 3 hole as opposed to 2

jmx6

Post by jmx6 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Disconnect everything, undo the bolts on the strut tops, then get the whole engine supported and undo the crossmembers.

Lift the car off the engine leaving you with the complete set up sat on the floor to put into the other car.

If the body on the donor car is shot then cut out the front end to make removal easier.

It is also a lot easier to lift if you strip the donor car first to remove weight.

This is how I took the engine out of the very rusty donor to replace my smoky unit.

Mada

Post by Mada » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 pm

Okies thanks for the advice so far,

Yeah car is shot, was going to be used for banger racing, last motd in 2012, its a m reg, 100k on the clock,