About Diagnostics

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

About Diagnostics

Post by Sunfly » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:47 am

Here's my diagnostics box. Is it standard and is it OBD1 or OBD2?

I assume its OBD1, however the very useful PCM fault codes post I got from a guy in Canada, mentioned that the Probe was fitted with OBD2 iafter 96 and furthermore cars fitted with OBD2 could not be read with an LED diode, nor an analogue multimeter. You HAD to have an OBD2 Reader. As my car is August 97, if what he says was right for the UK market as well as the Canadian market I should be the owner of OBD2 diagnostics, however I doubt it.

The reason I'm posting is to establish exactly what I do have and to find out why we dont use (or dont appear to be able to use) either an OBD1 or 2 reader.

As you know, I've just had a CPS Crank Position Sensor total failure causing a "no start" situation. That's all fixed now but when I followed the procedure for checking codes both the Ford recommended way (no result) and the UKPOC members way (various spurious, and IAT and HEGO2 fault) there was no codes 02 (CPS) or 04 (Slow speed Cranking sensor) both of which would cause a "no start". Without those codes the dizzy was suspected by everyone but the dizzy was fine and is back on the car now the CPS is changed. SO...! I reasoned that maybe I had an OBD2 setup and that was why I couldn't read the 02 fault (that must have been there), but when I started looking at readers, I started to get confused.

As I understand it the OBD1 is 12 pin and the OBD2 16 pin, but when I look at readers (of which there is a plethora) none have a plug that look as though they will fit our box. As most of them have a conversion lead to adapt from OBD1 to OBD2 and the scanners are only about £20, I would have thought that every member would have a reader for checking these codes, but I dont think thats the case as its always the diode method thats mentioned.

So in synopsis, 2 questions.

1. Can you buy a reader for our cars and what type is it on my car?
2. Why did I get no 02 code when the CPS sensor was open circuit and the PCM knew all about it as there was power at the dizzy but no spark, and it took the trouble to illuminate the "Check engine light" on the console and return a lot of other codes about gas and air! As the ford recommended connections are different to the ones we use in the club is there more than one code reading configuration?

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Re: About Diagnostics

Post by Jon G 24V » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi Bob.

My understanding is that all off our Probes are OBD 1.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: About Diagnostics

Post by cpt black » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Agree with Jon there OBD 1 strange there,s no label under the cover
guess another cut back,which makes Ten/Ground hard to find,also ABS
Codes ;)