24V Hesitation

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Boysen IV

24V Hesitation

Post by Boysen IV » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Hello everyone,

After a very long while when the car only ran for a very short distance (yards) each day, I have now properly got it back. Unfortunately It is hesitating at times. This afternoon as it was idling, I could feel a misfire until I increased the revs up to 1800 plus. Generally it seems to misfire under load unless the revs are high.

The spark plugs were replaced about 20 months (2k miles) ago so should be OK. Can anyone suggest the optimum sequence to check things out - i.e. what is the next most likely cause of this misfire?

Thanks, Peter

jrh

Re: 24V Hesitation

Post by jrh » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:06 pm

Have you tried spraying WD40 over all of the plug leads , especially where they all bunch up together ?
Or, looking under the bonnet when it is really dark , just look for blue sparks anywhere !

jheath17

Post by jheath17 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:04 pm

When I first had my car, about five years ago now it had this slight fluffing type of misfire just has I opened the throttle, new spark plugs did not cure it but new plug leads did. If you have access to a multimeter check the resistance of the leads they should not be more than about 5K per foot. when I checked mine they were 60k+ and some open circuit. A set of new leads cost me about £100.

Boysen IV

Post by Boysen IV » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks both. I've not been able to look at it yet but I'll report back on progress.

Boysen IV

Post by Boysen IV » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks all, it did turn out to be the leads ... replaced them and all is well (almost). The front three connectors are about 8mm too long so don't go over the cover properly. I'll get that fixed next week.