Airbag code 32

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Haulin

Airbag code 32

Post by Haulin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:46 am

Code 32 - drivers airbag, high resistance or open circuit

So I've had this code for few years, just randomly going on/off. Sometimes the light blinks immediately after startup, sometimes after driving sometime, sometimes it just goes off when driving and doesn't bother again on that day. Sometimes it stays off for weeks/months.

We checked the clock spring when this started happening and it had continuity and no breaks when turning the wheel. Then just forgot about it because you could pass vehicle inspection by leaving the battery disconnected for a while, then reconnecting it and the light wouldn't bother for some time, until it starts it's random behavior again :D.

Where are all the components located, that may cause this code to come up? Maybe good cleaning would stop this, maybe not.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Re: Airbag code 32

Post by mojo98 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm

I once had a issue with MrP, and I can't remember what the code was, but my air bag light would flash while driving if I just put in the key and started the car up without waiting for the lights to go out, and would keep on flashing while driving, but if I put in the key and turn it without starting the car and wait until all of the lights went out the started the engine the airbag light would stay out.

But since then I disconnected the battery and removed the glove box, behind the glove box and to the right is a blue connector, I disconnected with and cleaned it (very little wd40) then reconnected it, reconnected the battery and have had not further issue with the light when I just put the key in and start the car.

Alway disconnect your battery when working on any of the airbag components

Haulin

Post by Haulin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:39 pm

Ah, I see. I'll start with cleaning all the connectors. That waiting procedure would make sense too, I'll test that whenever I get the car running again. Cheers.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Just out of interest I had a look at the book and code 32 is the drivers side airbag, the circuit components of which are the clocksprings, safing sensor and the airbag itself, plus connectors.

Haulin

Post by Haulin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 am

Cleaned the two connectors from drivers side (both ends of the clock spring wiring), also waited for the light to go off before starting and still blinks 32. What is safing sensor and where it is located?

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Haulin wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 am
Cleaned the two connectors from drivers side (both ends of the clock spring wiring), also waited for the light to go off before starting and still blinks 32. What is safing sensor and where it is located?
Its an inertia sensor also called a "saving" sensor that has to operate at the same time (in series with) the collision sensor(s) LH wing, RH wing and radiator centre, to protect the driver/passenger from accidental operation from minor impacts etc. Consequently its in a protected central location behind the dash panel centre along with its 4 pin plug. I have never needed to have access to it, however my guess is that by removing the centre console trim and the radio you may well get access to sensor and plug. Others may know more!

I'm sure your well aware, but check and check again that the battery is disconnected and you have waited several minutes before disconnecting this plug.

Haulin

Post by Haulin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks again! I'll check the clock spring first with multimeter again to make sure that it indeed works and start looking deeper after that.

Haulin

Post by Haulin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Clock spring indeed still has continuity. Guess I found the safing sensor too (image below), but couldn't get the connectors off, so I just cleaned the dust off on top :evil:. Any idea what size resistor is needed to simulate the airbag? If that wouldn't shut the light, then it has to be something in wiring.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Haulin wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:44 pm
Clock spring indeed still has continuity. Guess I found the safing sensor too (image below), but couldn't get the connectors off, so I just cleaned the dust off on top :evil:. Any idea what size resistor is needed to simulate the airbag? If that wouldn't shut the light, then it has to be something in wiring.

I think you have got the safing sensor there because the connector is very recognisable from the manual. There are two connectors 260 and 261 though 261 is not shown, but the shape of 260 is correct to the book. Looks like you've got a bit of corrosion in that area!

The Air Bag simulator resistor is one ohm - 1ohm.

Haulin

Post by Haulin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:24 am

Found the fault with 1 ohm resistor: clock spring :D. Never trust blindly multimeter if it shows continuity. Thanks Sunfly for your help!