Bolt tensile strength

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
MikeyG

Bolt tensile strength

Post by MikeyG » Mon May 25, 2020 10:06 pm

Hey guys,

Maybe a dumb question but I thought it best to confirm here. The bolts with "10" and "8" on their heads represent 10.9 and 8.8 tensile strength respectively right? Its odd they just have a single number as the internet has no trace of them.

Thanks,

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Bolt tensile strength

Post by Kit » Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Yep that’s right
Use 8.8 bolts on our steelwork in telecom.
I’ll take a few Photos of the heads today

Kit

Bikergonebald

Re: Bolt tensile strength

Post by Bikergonebald » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:56 am

I’m not sure that those numbers do represent the tensile strength on our cars. I’m familiar with the grading of bolts and the numbering but on these cars I’ve only ever seen the numbers corresponding to the thread size so M6 threads have 6 on the head, M8 has 8 and M10 has 10.

If anyone has seen different numbers then of course it proves the theory wrong.

I think the reason for doing this is for easy identification in the factory.

Going off at a tangent slightly My MX-6 is Japanese built as are all the old bikes I ever owned and I worked for a Japanese machine builder. The reason why the bolts have a ‘non-standard’ head size I.e. M8 bolts with either a 12 or 14mm AF head is so that they are torqued correctly at build. They use torque wrenches and torque spanners preset for the head size. So M8 bolts that don’t need to be so tight when In aluminium are 12 and places like the brakes they have 14. This might be a better way to judge which are higher tensile bolts.

Please do tell me if I’m wrong then I won’t embarrass myself again somewhere else.
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.