Dodgy oil pressure switch

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: Dodgy oil pressure switch

Post by Sunfly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:36 am

Jon G 24V wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 am
Sunfly wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:00 pm
Jon G 24V wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Mine is a 'N' Reg and an early Car.
My Oil Gauge sits between the R and the M on Tickover and just above the N when cruising on the Motorway.
The needle goes up and down between these points as you rev it 8-)
Checked mine tonight and it is steady on the "M" under all circumstance. My memory of M939FDF from when I bought it in 1994 was that it always showed a steady pressure too, but I wouldnt swear to that. Is it possible you've got a dodgy pump relief valve Jon?

I've not checked the bible to see if the pump has such a valve, but my experience of big diesels is that most had a pressure regulating valve maintaining a steady oil pressure pressure in all circumstances. Ideally engine oil will be maintained at a steady pressure as you dont want lows or highs, but oil viscosity drops quite a bit as it heats up and would result in a lower pressure if left to its own devices, so to combat that, most oil pumps in my marine experience were slightly oversized and fitted with a regulator to spill excess oil back to sump. If there is such a relief valve on the Probe, I'm wondering if its possible yours is stuck shut?
Nothing wrong with it Bob. Tt just does what an early Car is supposed to do. Bear in mind that Oil Pressure will vary from Car to Car depending on mileage and the amount of Wear on the Oil Pump, Main Crank Bearings and the Cam Shaft Bearings too.
Mines only done 69K and i assume has not got much wear. The ZE Engine i had in the Teal was also around these levels on the Oil Gauge 8-)
Bit of "late" penny pinching going on there then, by the sound of things. How much could Ford possibly have saved by not fitting the courtesy light in the passenger footwell, the inspection light in the engineroom (that's what I call it... ha-har, me hearty's), and the bloody holes in the leather steering wheel...? Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say that a pressure "switch" as opposed to a pressure "sensor" is probably more reliable and what you're really interested in is total and immediate oil failure, because your ears, eyes and nose will tell you about serious engine wear!

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

Totally agree ears and eyes the best judges of a problem.
As for late penny pinching dont forget no compartment in rear drivers seat only passenger.And the cheap heater resistor.
I was chuffed when I got my late but I think an early is on the whole better.
A plus though is the temic.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm

fuerte wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am
Totally agree ears and eyes the best judges of a problem.
As for late penny pinching dont forget no compartment in rear drivers seat only passenger.And the cheap heater resistor.
I was chuffed when I got my late but I think an early is on the whole better.
A plus though is the temic.
Hmmm... After 7 distributor coils, I'm not sure I'd agree with that Elaine!

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 pm

I remember your posts about dissy problems and.people helping you out and you swapping them for fun.dont think I read the outcome but hope ypu found out the cause and got that part replaced.