Can dip sticks be wrong?

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: Can dip sticks be wrong?

Post by Sunfly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Alan8086 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 pm
@sunfly - by flushing oil, do you mean the cans of 'stuff' you add to the existing oil - or the flushing oil you buy a gallon at a time and use after dropping the engine oil? I've added varous cans of Wynns to the old oil in the past, plus hydraulic lifter treatment to the new oil, all with little effect so far. Years ago, i used the gallon of flushing oil in Opal Manta's I had, managed to wreck a Laguna later on, sometimes the oil seals dont like that stuff.
I just meant an oil change with a recommended oil. I think I kept the first dose in for about a month then changed it again. I did the same with all the oils as it happens; steering, brakes etc. Made the world of difference, especially in lightening up the steering.
Oil colour could be lighter but its not bad. I've seen worse.
Pressure gauge looks dodgy being as irratic as it is, and being so high.
Dipstick looks dodgy too. From memory its yellow and has a hole for your finger.
Trev (Microns) advice about the exhaust has to be your starting point, especially if its getting worse rapidly.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:43 am

Sounds like it could be the belt tensioner,bearings,water pump the dip stick is fine
have the same on my 24v,s

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 am

I'd go with cpt too.
Perhaps worth taking the auxillary belt off ( no alternator or power steering pump ) first to see if noise changes.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:35 am

cpt black wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:43 am
Sounds like it could be the belt tensioner,bearings,water pump the dip stick is fine
have the same on my 24v,s
Good call 8-)
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am

I would go with Kev, hydraulic tensioner, my Lazer sometime sounds the same when I start it up, sometime I have to start it up, then stop the engine and restart it a couple of times then the noise stops,
I need to change it when I find some time

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am

mojo98 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am
I would go with Kev, hydraulic tensioner, my Lazer sometime sounds the same when I start it up, sometime I have to start it up, then stop the engine and restart it a couple of times then the noise stops,
THAT would be a relief! Belt tensioner is an easy fix - and what a relief if it all went a lot quieter.

It does vary a lot in loudness. Occasionally i can start it up and there is very little sound.

If its the tensioner, does all that racket just come from the bearing or a hydraulic damper that isn't damping any more?

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Alan8086 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am
mojo98 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am
THAT would be a relief! Belt tensioner is an easy fix - and what a relief if it all went a lot quieter.

It does vary a lot in loudness. Occasionally i can start it up and there is very little sound.

If its the tensioner, does all that racket just come from the bearing or a hydraulic damper that isn't damping any more?
I would say just the hydraulic tensioner is weak and requires changing,